Angel With White Stringy Poop

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fish_face

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Well the title says it all really. I thought my angel may have a parasite, although none of the other fish have it. I've had him for ages and he has always been healthy. Could it be anything else? He has been picked on by my new angel lately AND MAY BE QUITE STRESSED , although it's easing off a bit.

I though I had parasites about a year ago when a dwarf gourami had the same thing and was swimming weirdly. I treated the tank and no other fish were affected although the gourami didn't make it.

Cheers guys :crazy:

It could be caused bt stress, or something the older angel cought from the newer angel. What quarintine procedure did you follow for the new angel?

Metronidazole is the med of choice for angels with internal parasites, though I don't think it's available in the UK. If it is, this is what I do;

Put the angel in a quar tank, I usually use a 10 gallon. Increase the temp over a day or so to 90-94F. Treat daily with 40 mg/gallon metronidazole, with 50% water changes daily. If the fish isn't eating, don't feed for the first 3 days. After 3 days, get some frozen brine shrimp. Take a portion about the size of a few match heads, and sprinkle on some metro. You have to eyeball this one, make the shrimp look kind of like a tiny powdered donut. Once it thaws, mix it in & feed. Sometimes they still don't eat for a few days, but once they start to mouth the food & spit it out, the meds seem to get in their system real good. Continue medicating the water & food for 7-10 days.

Metronidazole is sold as flagyl, het-a-mit, and a few other names I can't recall offhand, used to treat hexamita & hole in the head. They usually suggest 20mg/gallon, this often isn't enough. Metro deteriorates in 8 hours, so you could do twice daily water changes. I've done this on the weekends when I have time.

I've also added epsom salt while using metro, this helps with any constipation issues, cleans out the digestive tract. I start with 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons of water, increasing by 1 teaspoon daily for 2 more days to bring it up to 3 teaspoons per gallon. You will have to adjust how much you use when doing water changes. You may want to give this a try.

HTH, & good luck!

Tolak

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back