ammonia

jeff_hopkinson

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i have a 10 gallon tank,sand substrate a fluval2 plus and a fluval2 filter running but have ammonia.how do i get rid of it?

i use ammo lock and have tried nitrazorb to get rid of it.water changes dont help.ph,nitrate,nitrite r at normal levels its just the ammonia please help

1.tank has been setup 8 month had this problem for 1 month now

2. fish in tank,2 female guppys,5 rasbera harlequins,3 neon tetra's,3 glowlight tetra's,1 bronze corydoras,1 panda (young),1 julli (young)

3.ph is 7.2,ammonia is 4 ppm(parts per million),nitrite is 0ppm,nitrate is 40 ppm (this usually lower)

4.20% water change every other day its is also aged for 2 days b4 i add it

5. cleaning filters once a week and i clean it in tank water not tap.

Just a stab in the dark but how long have you had the filters for?

What kind of water conditioners do you use? I've heard AmQuel/AmQuel+ can throw off ammonia readings too...? (Another random stab there.)

Were you using Ammo Lock before you started having the really "severe" ammonia problems? Ammo lock just neutralizes ammonia in the water (doesn't get rid of it), so that could through off test kits too.

only use ammo lock when ammo is present. fluval 2 is 8 month old fluval 2plus is about 4month old . fluval 2 change filter sponge every month. fluval 2plus change poly pad every month and sponges every three month. I use aquasafe to condition water. I know that you cannot test water while using ammolock so i test a couple of days later.

mmmmmmmm, I can't see why you have this problem.

I'll have to leave this problem to someone else.

Hi there,
from what I have learned here, you maybe shouldn't be replacing your filters - just rinsing them out in tank water when you change the water. The filters are generally where the good bacteria live.
Maybe?
hth
Susan

thanks for the replies so far. I will hang on to filter sponges just rinse out on water changes. So far no one has told me how to get rid of ammo. having read through some of the letters i agree with the majority that ammo chips and nitra zorb are a waste of time. I have tried both none have worked. I have read about a carbon and zeolite filter but unfortunetly they do not fit fluval filters. any further suggestions. HELP!.

Most reactions

Back