Ammonia Wont Go Away!!!!!

trevo878

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've been doing fishless cycling on my 20 gallon for about 7 weeks now. For the last 2 or 3 weeks my ammonia has just sat at 0.25 ppm! It wont go away! I've tried putting in gravel and filter media in from other tanks in the house but that didn't work either! Is it ok to put fish in the tank when there is 0.25 ppm of ammonia in the tank? If not, please give some other suggestions.

Please help me.. im going insane!

What form of ammonia are you using to keep the Nitrosomonas (good bacteria) happy and how much are you adding?

1. Check Test Kit make sure it isnt old and expired. Also i would be suspicious if they were strips, i reccomend liquid.
2. How much ammonia did you add initially and how much are you adding daily?

I wouldnt worry that much. My ammonia was at the same, .25, it will eventually go away as the tank matures.

CAN I JUST SAY MATE UR REALLY OVERSTOCKED
IN UR TANK MOST OF UR FISH R GOIN TO DOUBLE IN SIZE
THATS WHY UR AMMONIA IS HIGH

Try testing your tap water. Sometimes it has small levels of ammonia and nitrates.

HTH,
~ Nisha

i say it's the test kit that's screwed
bring you water to a lfs and have them test it...

yvez9 said:
i say it's the test kit that's screwed
bring you water to a lfs and have them test it...
i agree wit you and the amount of fish the'll both efect it :(

STEVIE00 said:
CAN I JUST SAY MATE UR REALLY OVERSTOCKED
IN UR TANK MOST OF UR FISH R GOIN TO DOUBLE IN SIZE
THATS WHY UR AMMONIA IS HIGH
No... I think he's doing a fishless on the 20 gallon, and the ones in the sig are in various tanks around the house.... Am I right or left?

no but i can give my argumen to :grr: i know quite a bit and it can be caused by to many fish over feeding is another

Most reactions

Back