Ammonia spike

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ogh1156

Reaction score
I started live cycling a 55 gal tank about 1 1/2 wks ago with 7 zebra danios & 3 corys. 2 days ago I switched the carbon canister to the micron to polish the water, I am using a marineland 350 magnum. When I switched, the water tests showed 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate,& 7.6 ph. Today when I tested the water I had 1.0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate,& 7.6 ph. I put the carbon canister back in and did a 10% water change. Am I on the right track, & what more could I do to lower the ammonia & get back on track. Thanks, Owen.

Sometimes when you remove a beneficial bacteria source, it may lower the overall quantity of bacteria enough to not digest all of the waste byproducts. Since you have an established aquarium, the filter will be fed the appropriate bacteria and will 'cycle' itself with some 'mini spikes' in no time.

I also have a Mag 350 (3 of them actually). I rarely use the 'water polisher' although it is effective.

So should I just ride it out & keep monitoring the ammonia level? And at what level will it become harmful to the fish?

Ditto on that. At what levls (in general) do nitrites, ammonia and nitrate (for this I've hear 20ppm and I've heard 40ppm - A big difference) become toxic for my fishies.

Katchan

Waiting for my new/first master test kit to arrive in mail :D

Most reactions

trending

Back