ammonia level, could some one help ?

What is the ammonia reading. You say quite high, how high????

What is the current status of your tank, do you have fish, if so what type and are you cycling your tank at present????

What size is you tank???

The best way to reduce ammonia is with water changes - but we need more details for any of us to advice how much water change to do.

Please, if you can also give PH, NitrIte and NitrAte readings, it would be very helpful. :/ :/

Ive just done about a 15 % water change,

i would say the ammonia level is about 3.0mg/l

The Ph is about 8

The Nitrite is around 0.5 ish.

The Nitrate is around 0

The tank is 30" long 12" deep, yea i have some fish in there and a few plants.

Ive had the tank about a week.

I assume by the sound of it you must be cycling, how long has the tank been set up and when did you add the fish.???? How many fish???

Were the readings in you reply after the 15% water change.????

Edit Sorry just read you've had the tank about a week. But still need to know how many fish.??

I added the fish a couple of days ago, about 20.

Its been set up for a week now.

the readings were from before i did the water change.

Do i need to buy any thing from lfs to treat the water for the high levels or will the cycling fix it ?

The water has a slight green colour to it as well.

OK - You have reached your ammonia spike and the beginning of your nitrIte spike by the sounds of it. Both these substances are very toxic to fish. You need to continue doing daily water changes until you ammonia is at zero. You must then keep a close eye on the nitrIte so that it does not spike too high, and do appropriate water changes if it does.

Definately do not add anymore fish until both ammonia and nitrite are at zero, and when the time comes be careful to only add a few fish at a time because you will most probably spike again during the cycling period.

I think while the ammonia is that high that you should do at least 25% water change if not 50% perhaps someone else could confirm that as I not too sure on quantities (my lfs guy guided me through the amount to change)

Hope this helps :D

EDIT sorry your last post was while I was typing. 20 fish in one go is far too many. You will really need to keep up with your water changes. Someone else more experienced than me will offer you more detailed advice I'm sure. You may spike really really high with that sudden load. :/

EDIT (2) I hate lfs's that are willing to sell so many fish in one go :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr:

Do i need to buy any thing from lfs to treat the water for the high levels or will the cycling fix it ?

Don't be surprised if some of your fish kick the bucket.

It's best to add only a few fish at a time. I can't believe someone sold you 20 fish at one time for a newly established tank.

Cycling will eventually fix it, but its a way off yet before your tank is matured. Right now the only way to reduce your toxic levels, is constant water changes. I know it seems like a lot of work, but it's the best thing for the fish.

May I suggest you also read up some more on cycling tanks, it may help. here's a start New Tank Syndrome

There is stuff that some people buy, but from what I've read I would not use it, and a lot of people on TFF do not seem to agree with it either. (though i'm sure your lfs would recommend it - anything for a profit) :angry: (sorry i'm so cross they have sold you 20 fish in one go, in a new tank :crazy: )

Thanks for all the help guys, to be fair they didnt know, i got the tank from a different shop i got the fish from, so its my fault.

im going to try my best to sort it out, hopfully ive caught it before it started doing to much damage.

What is the maximum kind of number i can have in my tank size ?

Good advice above...

...READ THIS and some of the other pinned topics in 'Beginners'

Good luck with the cycling

www :)

Most reactions

Back