Ambient light = algae?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Magnos

Reaction score
Quick question if you don't mind. I have a window about 5 feet from my tanks and while they aren't getting direct sunlight there is definitely ambient light coming through. My algae isn't out of control but wondering if you think it'd be a good idea to black out the window or if I should reduce the twin star S light to like 6 hours a day?

20230906_102817.jpg

I'd reduce the lighting to 6 hours a day and maybe get some curtains for the window. Although I have a planned tank right next to a window with no light and it doesn't get much algae.

I'd reduce the lighting to 6 hours a day and maybe get some curtains for the window. Although I have a planned tank right next to a window with no light and it doesn't get much algae.
Are you stocked heavy with fish?
Mine is also still young (1.5 months) so it's still going through its balancing phase. 75 gallon with 3, 3.5 inch ram cichlids; 3, 2in bristle nose plecos, and 6 guppies about .5in I was culling from a breeding project and hoped the cichlids would eat but that's not happening so they're permanent residents...
Tank has co2, I did frequent water changes for the first month now I'm winding down to 30% every 2-3 days. The algae is only bad on 2 things. The driftwood with Java moss, and only 1 poor plant. Everything else is manageable

It's not a big tank, about 4 gallons with shrimp and a Giant Betta. Floating plants might keep the algae under control.

@Magnos Diffused daylight does make a huge difference with problem algae. I had issues with black brush algae in a couple tanks for some time, and about 9 years ago with monthly calibrations I worked the balance out to seven hours of tank light per day, and no increase in algae. The plants continued to thrive, but the algae stopped increasing, and that is the balance you want to achieve. My light was moderate at best, and the plants suited, and each tank is unique in this. But reducing the light by one hour at a time (a month or two apart), and fiddling with less fertilizer, I got it on track.

There were windows in the fish room, with blinds always closed. In the following summer, I noticed the algae increasing, not madly, just obvious. Next summer, same thing, and I figured the increased intensity and duration of daylight in summer was the cause. I blacked out the windows (being a dedicated fish room this was easy to do) and that ended the summer increase in the algae. Remained fine for the subsequent 7 years now. So, daylight does impact algae. As I frequently write, algae is not as fussy concerning the light, it canmake due with any unlike higher plants.

I used to have curtains for windows open so sunlight could come into the room. It stimulates the fish and shouldn't make much difference to algae in your room.

@Magnos Diffused daylight does make a huge difference with problem algae. I had issues with black brush algae in a couple tanks for some time, and about 9 years ago with monthly calibrations I worked the balance out to seven hours of tank light per day, and no increase in algae. The plants continued to thrive, but the algae stopped increasing, and that is the balance you want to achieve. My light was moderate at best, and the plants suited, and each tank is unique in this. But reducing the light by one hour at a time (a month or two apart), and fiddling with less fertilizer, I got it on track.

There were windows in the fish room, with blinds always closed. In the following summer, I noticed the algae increasing, not madly, just obvious. Next summer, same thing, and I figured the increased intensity and duration of daylight in summer was the cause. I blacked out the windows (being a dedicated fish room this was easy to do) and that ended the summer increase in the algae. Remained fine for the subsequent 7 years now. So, daylight does impact algae. As I frequently write, algae is not as fussy concerning the light, it canmake due with any unlike higher plants.
Yea I had a feeling it did. It's not terrible algae but it's ruining my focal point lol. The algae isnt running rampant and i know some algae is beneficial. Ughhh idk i might just let it ride because every other plant besides the one in the picture is doing really really good
20230906_134547.jpg
20230906_134537.jpg

Well, "the algae isn't running rampant" seems something of an understatement...I never had it like these photos. And you don't need to resign yourself to this either. You mentioned previously that the plants were doing better with the white light change, so there is no doubt but that your previous light was responsible for this.

What is the light duration now, and is it on a timer so it is consistent?

Well, "the algae isn't running rampant" seems something of an understatement...I never had it like these photos. And you don't need to resign yourself to this either. You mentioned previously that the plants were doing better with the white light change, so there is no doubt but that your previous light was responsible for this.

What is the light duration now, and is it on a timer so it is consistent?
Duration is 8 hrs on a timer. I haven't had the light long so I bought a dimmer and have it at 50%. Going to do a parameter test real quick too. The algae is growing super slow so I'm confident the lights were a root cause. Tank gets the ambient light from. The window from like 6am-7pm though.i might just try blacking it out and see if it slows it

Duration is 8 hrs on a timer. I haven't had the light long so I bought a dimmer and have it at 50%. Going to do a parameter test real quick too. The algae is growing super slow so I'm confident the lights were a root cause. Tank gets the ambient light from. The window from like 6am-7pm though.i might just try blacking it out and see if it slows it

Make changes slowly, it takes days for each to take effect, so you can't jump the gun.

Which change ru referring to? Blacking the window out? I was hoping setting the light at 50% was a good call. Also co tinueing water changes while the tank gets established

Which change ru referring to? Blacking the window out? I was hoping setting the light at 50% was a good call. Also co tinueing water changes while the tank gets established

Settings with the tank light, whether intensity or duration, and any changes to plant fertilizers if any, all these need to be individual and given time. For example, when I was working to eradicate black brush algae, the light was my prime concern, so an hour less, then 3-4 weeks later another hour less if I thought it needed it. Window light I would minimize as much as possible, this obviously depends upon the use of the room, but it is a factor in the overall balance.

Settings with the tank light, whether intensity or duration, and any changes to plant fertilizers if any, all these need to be individual and given time. For example, when I was working to eradicate black brush algae, the light was my prime concern, so an hour less, then 3-4 weeks later another hour less if I thought it needed it. Window light I would minimize as much as possible, this obviously depends upon the use of the room, but it is a factor in the overall balance.
It's my basement(my basement is technicallymy first floor so its a full window)/mancave/fish room so windows can **** off lol. I've been using an all in one fertilizer but after researching I read in a few places that for the first 3 months you shouldn't add fertilizer.
Lol I've been listening to water colors aquarium gallery podcast and a few others and I'm starting to lean towards slow growing controllable algae isn't a terrible thing

I read in a few places that for the first 3 months you shouldn't add fertilizer.

I cannot recall reading this in the past, and frankly it makes little sense. A new tank means scarcely any natural nutrients--these come from feeding fish and water changes--so I always dosed Flourish Comprehensive Supplement as soon as a plant went in.

I'm starting to lean towards slow growing controllable algae isn't a terrible thing

It depends what this actually means. All aquaria have algae. The photos/tanks one sees on some YouTube sites that have no algae are not healthy. Algae is natural and to be expected. But it is under control, so you really never see it, but it is there in the biofilm which is what the algae-grazers are eating. Once it gets like in your photos, that is out of control and unhealthy, but you can get it under control through the balance.

Attachments

• 90g Apr 6-09.JPG
    90g Apr 6-09.JPG
    268.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 70g Feb 14-16.JPG
    70g Feb 14-16.JPG
    240.2 KB · Views: 11
Took my levels. 6.5 ph, oppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites, 10ppm nitrates

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back