Ambastaia Sidthimunki (Dwarf Loach) Problems

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

sara213

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had dwarf loaches and has experianced them chasing other aquariam fish around. They almost killed my angel fish by biting his fin's and base of his body to the point that you can see red. They also chase the cory's around and nip at them. I've seen them chase the terta's too. They don't bother my apistogramma because he/she defends him/her self.

The angel fish has been relocated as of sunday to my mother in laws tank.

I had 5 but one commited suicide and jumped out of the tank (can't happen any more do to the glass cover over the tank) so there is 4 and I can't find more of these guys at any other store...

Anyone have experiance with this fish?

- thanks

Sara

What you are seeing is very normal behavior, they will annoy slow moving fish, even more so when they are kept in low numbers. I got 7 of these loaches last September and wanted to get another 5 or so, but in the meantime I lost one with no known cause in early June and I have not been back to Warminster since (as I am not prepared to pay ~£12 each locally when I can get them for <£5 each at Amazon Aquatics, while finances are rather tight).

I have kept a number of these fish for quite a few years. Initially, I had two groups for many years, but tank rearranging this past year resulted in one larger group. I have about 15 now. 

I have never ever seen them bother other fish in a harmful manner. They are very active little guys and do like to "play" with other fish.

I am so surprised by the above report that I would wonder how sure the OP is he has sids. In fact, this is how loaches.com describes them:

Care: The Dwarf Chain Loach is an excellent peaceful choice for the mature community aquarium. These fish thrive in large shoals, and 5 really is considered the absolute minumum number to keep together.
from http://www.loaches.com/species-index/yasuhikotakia-sidthimunki

I agree with TTA, mine have never shown any aggression. They seem oblivious the other fish in the tank. The only 'problem' I have with them is that if they want to go from point a to point b, they will go in a straight line regardless of if there are any other fish in the way. Roadhog is the best way to describe them.
Though I did overhear a shop worker blaming them for their tankmates' missing eyes.......

I know it is really too bad that they did this to him. I was writing the thank you card in response for my wedding and the tank is right beside my desk and in the corner of my eye they are taking bites of of him. He is a long fin angel....:(

I think my only solution is to give them to my husband to bring back to the fish shop.

Unless adding more might help slove that problem?

Are you certain you have sids? The behavior you describe is typical for some other loaches, but not for sids. I had to rehome my yoyo loaches for the very behavior you describe. They drove my angels nuts.

I have a small group of dwarf chain loaches and they are inquisitive, active and at times playful around my other fish but I have not witnessed them harassing or nipping at my fish. Nor have I seen any evidence of such behaviour such as torn fins or wounds of any sort. The biting and harassing sounds more like a botia species of loach rather than dwarf chains.
Generally for social loaches more is better, that way they can play and argue amongst themselves and be more inclined to leave other tank mates alone.

Could you get a picture of your loaches so that we can hopefully confirm that the loaches you have are infact dwarf chains?

TwoTankAmin said:
Are you certain you have sids? The behavior you describe is typical for some other loaches, but not for sids. I had to rehome my yoyo loaches for the very behavior you describe. They drove my angels nuts.
How can you tell if they had sids? and what is that?
sad2.gif

Baccus said:
I have a small group of dwarf chain loaches and they are inquisitive, active and at times playful around my other fish but I have not witnessed them harassing or nipping at my fish. Nor have I seen any evidence of such behaviour such as torn fins or wounds of any sort. The biting and harassing sounds more like a botia species of loach rather than dwarf chains.
Generally for social loaches more is better, that way they can play and argue amongst themselves and be more inclined to leave other tank mates alone.

Could you get a picture of your loaches so that we can hopefully confirm that the loaches you have are infact dwarf chains?
Sure I can provide a picture.

This is a old photo because as of Yesterday brought them back to the LFS. I got a trade in value and bought 2 angel fish and 4 cory's. The other guy has died ( the angel fish).

From the photo, albeit small, they look like sids. As I worte earlier, my group takes stick from no one in their tank, even my two semi-nippy Steatocranus ultraslender. They even joined in nipping the fins and barbels of my 4 Hoplo Catfish and my sole remaining Weather Loach (who was too ill to rehome with the others some time ago).

Sorry to hear your original Angelfish died, but your replacement stocking is not good either...
Angelfish should be bought as singletons, a group of 6+ (to find a bonded pair and then rehome the others), or a bonded pair. A "random" duo often ends up in a bullying situation.
And 4 Corydoras is not enough unless you are adding to an existing single species group.

The two angels so far seem to be together constantly. So, until they show aggression toward each other then we will see. They are already quiet big I will post a picture of them so you can see or maybe a video later today. As for the corydora's I've added to an existing group. so in total I have 9 :)

N0body Of The Goat said:
From the photo, albeit small, they look like sids. As I worte earlier, my group takes stick from no one in their tank, even my two semi-nippy Steatocranus ultraslender. They even joined in nipping the fins and barbels of my 4 Hoplo Catfish and my sole remaining Weather Loach (who was too ill to rehome with the others some time ago).

Sorry to hear your original Angelfish died, but your replacement stocking is not good either...
Angelfish should be bought as singletons, a group of 6+ (to find a bonded pair and then rehome the others), or a bonded pair. A "random" duo often ends up in a bullying situation.
And 4 Corydoras is not enough unless you are adding to an existing single species group.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back