Am I Just Being Impatient?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

idlefingers

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I received my Hydor CO2 system (http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php?...products_id=795) from aqua-essentials yesterday and set it all up last night.

So it's been running for 24hrs now and I have yet to see a single bubble pass through the bubble counter. In the instructions, it said it'd take about 3hrs to start seeing bubbles and 6-12hrs for CO2 to start being produced. So am I just being impatient for getting frustrated that I haven't seen any bubbles yet?

I've double checked every connection and there's no leaks. I just squeezed the fermenting bottle slightly to force some air up to check it went through the bubble counter and it did, so I know that much works.

I hope I'm just being impatient. I'm starting to worry that I've just thrown £30 down the drain.

Does anyone have experience with these kits? Or any advice as to how long this might take for it to start working?

Bin the supplied sachets and read the pinned article on the hagen nutrafin system, then go to sainsbury's.

Sam

I'd read that and was going to do that to refill it when it runs out.. Are the supplied things completely useless then?

I opened it up and gave it a stir and have the bottle sitting in some warmish water and finally I'm seeing bubbles now! Woohoo!

In the instructions it said not to shake it, so i didnt stir it either.. I guess that's where I went wrong!

Do you still think I should tip it out and use the yeast from the supermarket?

Yes, the supplied yeast is just to slow, ok it'll last 30 days but the CO2 production will be very low during that period.

Sam

Well I'll have to make a trip to get some yeast tomorrow, then! Thanks for the help sam. :good:

If its any help, the same happened with me so I junked it and got a pressurised system...

I use 2 Nutrafins on my 29G and use 1/4 teaspoon yeast (measured exactly with bread machine measurement spoon) and change them on alternate fridays.

Drop Checker says its fine so Im happy

I would suggest that you use Brewers Yeast or a champaine yeast. You can get the Brewers yeast at a grocery store and the champaign yeast at a wine making store. These yeasts are far more robust and able to deal with a little lower temperature and the build up of ethyl alcohol in the fermenter. You should alsoi use a yeast starter. Simply put about 1/2 cup of water at about 110F in a glass and add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar. Stir well and then add the yeast. It will rehydrate and sink. Stir gently and put in the fermenter. The starter process should be 10 to 15 minutes. This will give the yeast an opportunity to start before going into the fermenter. These yeasts will last longer than an ordinary bakers yeast.
Vic

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back