Am I being impatient or did it stall?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

SABWARNER16

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Got a 3.5 gallon tank that Iā€™m fishless cycling with pure ammonia. Raised it to about 2 ppm and its been stuck at .5ppm for about five days. Never had a nitrite reading. Nitrates continue to increase, theyā€™re at about 10ppm. Itā€™s planted with three swords and some floating plants. I used Safe Start to jump start it and it definitely worked. Temperature is 76.8. Used prime to dechlorinate and the pH is alkaline because our tap is alkaline. LED light for the plants. Just wondering if Iā€™m doing something wrong if it is just taking its usual time. I know itā€™s no fast process but we went from 2ppm ammonia to .5 ppm in two days and I want to make sure I didnā€™t do anything to stall it.
What would happen if I added more Safe Start or Turbostart?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
I think it's just a waiting game now. The fact that nitrate is increasing is a good sign that you have some of both bacteria.
Adding more Safe Start won't harm anything and you never know.

It is normal for your ammonia readings to sort of jump around, at least mine did when I first setup my tank.

I would give it more time. You could get some Anacharis to help speed up the process - they suck up ammonia like a vacuum. :)

I think it's just a waiting game now. The fact that nitrate is increasing is a good sign that you have some of both bacteria.
Adding more Safe Start won't harm anything and you never know.
Iā€™ve read that you can get a bacterial bloom if you add too much, but maybe if I just add a little?

It is normal for your ammonia readings to sort of jump around, at least mine did when I first setup my tank.

I would give it more time. You could get some Anacharis to help speed up the process - they suck up ammonia like a vacuum. :)
The anacharis is a good idea. Considering my readings, do you think itā€™ll be much longer before ready for fish?

The anacharis is a good idea. Considering my readings, do you think itā€™ll be much longer before ready for fish?
I would say maximum a week? It could be longer though. (Hope itā€™s soon thought I know how exciting it can be to get new fish. :))

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back