Almost cycled, ?need for 3ppm doses

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

twintanks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My new big tank is almost cycled; the ammonia has dropped to zero in 24 hours after each of the 3ppm doses 6, 7 and 8 but the nitrites have continued to lag....until today (my Day 28) where I recorded 0.25ppm after 24 hours......so a-l-m-o-s-t there but technically not quite.
Thing is now, according to instructions, it says even slower tanks shouldnt need to go beyond doses 6 or 7, but I will have to....I am expecting dose 9 to achieve 24-hour scores of zero for both.
So the question is, how many consecutive days do I need to record 24-hour scores of zero for both readings? I've had to order more conc. ammonia, I'm nearly out....should I stick to the 3ppm for further doses or could they be reduced to 2, or even 1ppm?

You are very nearly there, should only be a few more days at most.

Once nitrite bacterias start to colonise, will be fairly quick to get to strength.

Only dose when nitrite is at zero as well as ammonia at zero.

Reckon maybe 2 more doses over next couple of days should be it.

Keep testing. You'll be there before you know it and get that feeling of success and satisfaction of completing a Fishless cycle :)

In theory, a single drop from 3 ppm to double zeroes is a cycled tank. If you are concerned you could do two in a row, but there's no need to do it that way.

What is your stocking going to be? Likely you will be stocking juvenile fish from a LFS, so you won't get the full ammonia production that you've been giving the tank right away. Give it one more dose, get the double zeroes and do the big water change to remove the nitrates and 'reset' the tank to the tap conditions. Then get your fish. :D

Well done. :good:

The fish stock will not be large in numbers at this time;, they are one goldfish (him on the left) and a couple of young weather-loaches. They live in a smaller tank right now, but need more space, hence the new tank purchase. In time (when Goldie is no longer with us) I'll plan new fish.....but it'll be just these going in for now.
Great....back to the dosing!

Honestly, with that limited stocking... you are likely ready now. But one more dose won't hurt anything.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back