Algea Problem, Need Help Clearing Please.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kashifg

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I started up my first planted tank a couple of months ago, all was going well till around 2 weeks ago. I started to get algae on some of my plants. i think its either BBA or either hair algae. i've taken some pics to help identify.
The tank is a Juwel Trigon 350, along with the internal filter, i have an eheim 2128 filter which helps with additional flow.
Originally i was dosing with easycarbo, then i introduced pressurised co2 around 3 weeks ago. I have got this dialed in to around 4-5 bps (the drop checker is showing lime green on this setting).

I dose with aquariumplantfoodUK allinone fert. i was dosing this every other day, but have started to dose every day for the past week, with not much change on algae. With my plant mass increasing over the last few weeks, im not sure if i should increase my dose? (i dose 30ml everyday).
I carry out around 40% water changes, every 2 weeks. And i have noticed, that the algae significantly increases after a water change. not sure if this is a sign of a problem?
The algae has now become more serious than before. My lighting is the standard Juwel T8 lighting i.e. T8, and this totals to 1wpg, i have reflectors on all tubes.
My plant list is: Vallis, Java Fern, Hornwort, Anubia, Crypts,Moss, Amazon Sword.
Loads of questions, but i would really appreciate any pointers on where i am going wrong.
imag0155h.jpg

imag0154a.jpg

imag0153pt.jpg

Full tank shot:
imag0149u.jpg

not sure i can be much help ATM considering my own probs.However, for what it's worth.
BBA & staghorn can be caused by poor flow according to this algae guide.How's your flow?
Also, and i may be wrong, but with co2 & daily dosing, i thought it was recommended weekly water changes of 50%.Do you have a lot of mulm collecting? Disturbed the substrate at all?
Nice looking FTS though despite your probs
good.gif

flow, seems ok to me. In effect there are two powerheads, i.e. one from the internal filter and the other from the external. The water flows all the way round the tank, with some plants swaying in the flow. how best to tell if this is ok?
Not much mulm around, and i havent touched the substrate since starting up the tank. i change the water every fortnight, as i simply dont get the time due to work commitments. i was under the impression that water changes were not necessary on a weekly basis?

Always a bit risky to assume stuff. If you do and your tank is telling you something different chances are one of you might be wrong...
You could try moving the drop checker around the tank to check CO2 (If you haven't already)
And if you've read that algae can occur due to lack of maintenance and cleaning you might want to rethink your water change and cleaning schedule.
Hi Tech = Higher maintenance. Dial everything down and you can do less water changes :good:

Ok, i will move the drop checker around, to see if this makes any difference.
when you say 'dial everything down', how could i possibly do this with co2/fert? if i decreased the amount of co2/dosage of ferts, i would have thought that have created more of an imbalance?

how could i possibly do this with co2/fert?

You can't, well, you could maybe reduce light.
That's the point really - Hi-Tech is high maintenance, low tech is low maintenance

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back