Algae

linzbob

Reaction score
Had the 44g tank set up for quite a while (9 months) and it was only recently that we invested in some propper live plants. :thumbs: Had the plants set up for approx 2 months, plants growing great but small snail problem but we are slowly curing that. ;) The problem is since we put the plants in the tank there is now some algae on the substrate (sand) but only seems to affect the front of the tank where there are no plants, and it gets quite thick and quite quickly. When i do the 'housework' the vacuum syphon wont suck it up. I have tried with a small net and running over the top to skim it off but i just end up taking a load of sand with it.
Does anyone know of a) what is this algae B) how i can get rid of it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. :fun:

I would add to the comments in that article that cyanobacteria are not always affected by algicides since they are not really the same thing. An antibiotic like Erythromycin can clear them up, but I would only ever regard dosing a tank with antibiotics as an absolute last resort after everything else has been tried 5 times for the last 6 months! Remember, some bacteria are your friends.

I had this problem once and it disappeared after I increased the water circulation. :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back