Algae

Papapanov

Reaction score
Hello.
I will be grateful if someone can identify these bushes growing on my logwood, and what to do
Thankyou

Attachments

• IMG_20230621_180627435_MFNR.jpg
    IMG_20230621_180627435_MFNR.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20230621_180627435_MFNR.jpg
    IMG_20230621_180627435_MFNR.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 30
That is our old friend--or more likely nemesis--black brush algae, and in its most beautiful form. When this only grows on wood (and not plant leaves) it is really useful because fish love to graze through this looking for microscopic critters. Nothing in the way of fish (there are two exceptions but they are frankly not smaller tank or community tank fish) will eat this, but cories do love browsing through it. And if it gently waves in the water current, quite attractive.

How to deal with it. I cannot tell from the two photos if there are higher plants in this tank, and this makes a difference. If not, then this algae will continue to increase because of the nutrients (from having the fish obviously) and light. Some like algae in such tanks because it uses the nutrients and produces oxygen like higher plants, though minimally by comparison. But if you have live plants, you must control this so it does not spread onto or increase on plant leaves, as this can suffocate the leaf and kill the plant in time.

There is evidence of other algae in the photos, actually quite a lot including green covering the substrate. This suggest less than adequate maintenance, and it can cause more serious issues if not rectified. Water changes once a week and significant (60-70% each), good vacuum of the substrate at each, and keeping the filter clean will help. Not overstocking, not overfeeding. And, live plants, especially floaters which not only use more nutrients, they provide shade to thwart algae.

In a planted tank it is all a question of balance in the light/nutrients. The light duration factors in, very important with live plants.

I actually like the algae on the rock. You have a lovely green field with grey brown shrubs around it. If it was my tank and I didn't have other plants in it, I would leave it be :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back