Algae Problem

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Kirsty

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am getting a bit of unwanted algae on my small rocks at the bottom of my tank. Could this be because the light has been on too long?
What is the best way to rid my tank of the algae?
Hoping to get a small algae eater at the weekend.

An algae eater would not solve your problem!

Yes too much light, especially including any sunlight getting on tanks!

Overfeeding is another major factor!

A well planted tank can make a big difference too!

I have one plant. Pretty sure i havent been overfeeding, it doesnt really look like its a sunlight problem so im guessing its a light problem.

I know he wont solve the problem, but i really want one :)

What does the algae look like? Since you say it is onl the rocks, I imagine it is the dreaded blue green algae. If that is the case, then Macracantha is definitely correct that an algae eater won't help. What kind of plant do you have also?

Its quite dark green in colour.

I'm not sure what plant it is, its kind of like a spider plant for water.

How can i solve my problem and whats causing it?

If it is that blue-green algae it says it is caused by bad water conditions. My water conditions are good at the moment so does it have something to do with when i was cycling my tank?

Would you guys recommend erythromycin?

Lights on for about 10 - 12 hours.

Not sure about wattage.

Tank size 63 litres (about 14 UK Gallons)

Maybe cut the hours down to 8 evryday by buying an automated timer from your local hardware.

Ive never heard of erythromycin before. Is there no other possible method to remove it other than chemicals?

That is on my list of things to get this weekend!

I read somewhere that it might be an idea to have the light on for 4 hours, off for 2 and then on for another 4. Is this a good idea?

mr_miagi32 said:
Maybe cut the hours down to 8 evryday by buying an automated timer from your local hardware.
I agree!

I would drastically cut down the lighting and, if possible, increase the planting before I considered any chemicals!

Ok, thanks guys. I will go plant shopping and timer shopping this weekend, and in the mean time cut down my lighting hours.

Sorry to hijack- but I've got the same-sized tank as Kirsty, similar lighting hours (12 hrs)- and my tank is smothered in brown algae instead! Does that mean I should increase lighting hours then? :unsure:

Most reactions

Back