Algae On Silk Plants, Beginning To Grow On Anubias Too & Diatom Al

pablothebetta

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Dark coloured algae, very difficult to remove. It's a dark brown-green sort of colour, could it be black beard algae? It isn't fluffy or have any sort of height to it at all. My cherry shrimp ignore it and I've tried scrubbing it with a fairly harsh toothbrush but it hasn't affected it.

With the silk plants, I cannot simply cut them or remove them and allow to re-grow as you could do with live plants. They are also an absolute pain to put into the tank, so removing to 'do work' on them isn't ideal.
As for the anubias, I've heard about simply cutting or removing the affected parts of the plant, but surely if I do this and it's in the tank already on other 'decor', cutting will only result in plant loss as the algae will grow on another part of the plant?

I also have some brown diatom algae on the sides of the aquarium. It hasn't managed to take over the tank too much, as I tend to remove it when I do waterchanges, but why do I continue to get it?

So, could really do with some help here. This is the lighting I think have: http://www.aquarium-parts.co.uk/acatalog/info_24_AL_T11WTB.html It appears to be a pretty highly lit tank when the lights are on. They're generally on for no more than around 6 hours a day and that is in the evenings when it's dark. I don't use ferts or CO2, though I have been considering investing in some ferts for the anubias (which, by the way, is secured onto some bogwood). Are there any you would particularly recommend?

Many Thanks

I have the same problem...I may get api algaefix and take my chances...

If you can remove the anubias. Mix a 50:50 solution of bleach and water and emerse the anubias in it for THREE minutes..
then rinse very well. kills the bba.
Sounds a bit ott but it does work.... no longer than 3 minutes though!

Diatoms is caused by trace amounts of ammonia and silicates usually found in new tanks which are still maturing... how long has the tank been set up? Usually more frequent water changes can help alleviate it, as well as manual removal, as you have been doing.

The other algae, if you click on the PARC link in my sig there's an algae guide: can you try to identify the type? That way we can best help you with it. It's possible its more than one type: ie, the diatoms is tank-wide not just on the glass, but there's another on the plants as well.

Thanks for all the replies - they have all been hepful.
Coldcazzie, the tank has been set up for around 2 months, so it is a new tank. However, I'm using filter media from another tank which had been going for around 2 years as this tank was an upgrade from it, so it is relatively mature media I am using. I also do around 25% weekly water changes, during which I do a gravel vac (I have sand in there).
I will take a look at the algae guides - thanks for your help.

Having had a look at the guides, I no longer thing that the dark algae is BBA - mine is a more of a dark brown-green colour, lots of tiny dots with no fluffy appearance. I don't really recognise it from the pictures on the guide, a little like diatom algae, but far smaller dots. Could it be diatom algae? As I said, It is very difficult to remove, though, whereas the diatom algae on the sides of my tank can be removed by rubbing it with my finger.

I didn't mention before, my sand also has a green look to it, as if it too has some form of algae on it.

I noticed last night some green dust algae on the side of my tank too, where is it all coming from?

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies - they have all been hepful.
Coldcazzie, the tank has been set up for around 2 months, so it is a new tank. However, I'm using filter media from another tank which had been going for around 2 years as this tank was an upgrade from it, so it is relatively mature media I am using. I also do around 25% weekly water changes, during which I do a gravel vac (I have sand in there).
I will take a look at the algae guides - thanks for your help.
Even though the media is mature the setup is still new. The diatoms will eventually go by itself, but you can help keep it under control by doing more frequent changes, perhaps twice weekly for the next month?

Having had a look at the guides, I no longer thing that the dark algae is BBA - mine is a more of a dark brown-green colour, lots of tiny dots with no fluffy appearance. I don't really recognise it from the pictures on the guide, a little like diatom algae, but far smaller dots. Could it be diatom algae? As I said, It is very difficult to remove, though, whereas the diatom algae on the sides of my tank can be removed by rubbing it with my finger.

I didn't mention before, my sand also has a green look to it, as if it too has some form of algae on it.

I noticed last night some green dust algae on the side of my tank too, where is it all coming from?

Thanks
If its definitely green dust algae then, as awful as it sounds, leave it. It will go through a cycle where it gets really thick, then looks awful as it dies, then after about a month you can wipe it off and it won't return. However if its green spot algae then all you can is remove it really, its difficult to prevent. As for the rest of the tank: anubias is a slow growing plant which is prone to algae. Obviously the silk plants don't grow so they're prone too. How long is your light on for?

Thanks for the reply, really helpful. The light is usually on for no more than 6-8 hours a day, in the evenings when it's dark.

Most reactions

Back