Algae On My Wall

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

iceloly15

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
On the back wall of my tank there is thin green algae growing near the heater and the plants. My front and side walsl and white foggy things growing on it. I use my algae scraper to scrape it off but it just grows back. I washed the whole tank walls but it's back now again. I've got a few snails,2 ropefish, 5 gourami's and 2 discus.

Algae on the glass is a common part of keeping a fish tank. I keep it growing on the sides of my tank for my ottos to munch on. Generally people scrape their tank every week - three weeks depending on the tank. My reef tank gets it about every two weeks. 

This is assuming we are talking about microalgae that commonly grows on glass. 

A photo would help.

If it's a bit blurry I can take another picture with more clearness image.jpg

Clean your glass every week whether it looks like it needs it or not - that's my rule anyway :)

What size tank?
Planted or not planted? How many light hours?
If planted, do you dose with liquid co2 of ferts? What kinds?

It's a 90 litre tank and it's planted. 13 hours of light since my discus like the light. No I don't dose with liquid co2 of ferts but I dose once a week with some plant fertilisation which is meant to keep the healthy and to grow faster

Woah, 13 hours is a lot - that's your problem right there. max is usually 8 hours IIRC

My tanks mostly run split times, morning (4-5hrs) and night (4-5hrs). 
I do have 1 tank that the light is running 24/7

oh ok, I will reduce the lighting to about 9-10 hours. Is that still too much?

IMO, yes - but you'll have to have a play and see what works for you. 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back