Algae On Java Moss

I'd love to look like the all knowledgable expert here but of course I follow Tom's advice too and apparently BBA is a prime example of CO2 not being high enough, although I would guess that is in a heavily planted tank and not 25%

Andy

I'm dosing Flourish Excel as my carbon source. Only started about 2 weeks ago (after the BBA had established itself :rolleyes: ) I assume I can treat Excel in a similar way to CO2 and up the dose slightly?

I was going to run DIY CO2, but decided it was too much hassle... And I had problems with the glass diffuser so gave up.

Flourish Excel (although I have never used) is said to be really good. What you need to be aware of though is that as with all fertilisers they have a dosage for a reason that being this is what they is definately safe with fish.

The way to use (so I read) Excel is to overdose and although it has been shown to work at certain 'overdoses' you should be wary of upping it anymore.

Also excel overdosing has been shown to kill certain plants like vallis and riccia amongst others.

Therfore use it and overdose (following experienced users advice (not mine) but don't up it any further than they say.

andy

I have been doing my reading on BGA as we still have a problem with it and it seems to be getting worse. There is also quite a bit of brown algae and some sort of fluffy algae on some of the leaves. We have ordered a CO2 kit and have planted some more fast gowing plants at the weekend (Ludwigia and Limnophila).

It seems to be low nitrates which are the main culprit. But when I tested the water in the tank and the tap water they are both 10ppm. I understand that nitrate test kits can be a bit dodgy so would it be a plan to start dosing with KNO3 when we have done a blackout and set the CO2 up? How much would you recommend - on Aqua Essentials they say mix 40g with 500ml water and dose 10ml per 100l of water 3 times a week for 5ppm. We might get some Tropica Plant Nutrition too.

Does this plan sound okay? :unsure:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back