Algae Odor?

grayshark1956

Fish Crazy
Reaction score

Just a silly question: can a tank have an algae odor with no visible algae? My tank is not in sunlight, has good filtration and air pump, new plants, too. For odor I have Jungle clearwater I bought for cloudiness and bottle says its good for odors. So, guess that means I can treat two conditions at once! Wish they sold it in a larger bottle. Anyone have similar problem with odor? Thanks :blink:

never had my tanks smell.. try doing a water change.. and check your ammonia levels.. if its a "fishie" smell then it just needs a water change. see if that works.

never had my tanks smell.. try doing a water change.. and check your ammonia levels.. if its a "fishie" smell then it just needs a water change. see if that works.

My tank never had this before, but, a partial water change is a good start, thanks!

Thanks, I determined it was fishy smell, changed water and it worked, never had fishy smell before. :thanks:

Thanks, I determined it was fishy smell, changed water and it worked, never had fishy smell before. :thanks:
no problem, good everything worked out

Actually, yes, a water change helps alot but I am almost sure I've located the source finally!.... its the uneaten food/waste underneath and around the rock cave! So, that means tomorrow, I will take all creatures out and completely clean under cave and rocks. This will take a while, then I must rearrange rocks and cave and landing I put together. I have a new crab who is under part of the cave now, the other 3 were waiting for dinner and I hope he is ok. I will keep checking on him until I go to bed, then first thing in the morning. Thanks for writing about the fishy smell, now I know where its coming from and it has been bothering me. :crazy:

Actually, yes, a water change helps alot but I am almost sure I've located the source finally!.... its the uneaten food/waste underneath and around the rock cave! So, that means tomorrow, I will take all creatures out and completely clean under cave and rocks. This will take a while, then I must rearrange rocks and cave and landing I put together. I have a new crab who is under part of the cave now, the other 3 were waiting for dinner and I hope he is ok. I will keep checking on him until I go to bed, then first thing in the morning. Thanks for writing about the fishy smell, now I know where its coming from and it has been bothering me. :crazy:
well if you have gravel you can just vacuum it and then all the poop and uneaten food it taken out.. kinda like a water change. you don't need to take the creatures out, usually taking them out stresses them more. i always leave my fish in when i do a gravel vacuum. if it is sand.. then i don't know how to clean sand.. never had it.

well if you have gravel you can just vacuum it and then all the poop and uneaten food it taken out.. kinda like a water change. you don't need to take the creatures out, usually taking them out stresses them more. i always leave my fish in when i do a gravel vacuum. if it is sand.. then i don't know how to clean sand.. never had it.

If my cheap gravel vac worked I might have done that first, in my case, I decided to start over to save crabs. Just got back from pet store, bought driftwood, boiling it now, will add to tank. Can't wait to see crabs climb on it! But I guess I'll have to clean tank the old fashioned way.

If my cheap gravel vac worked I might have done that first, in my case, I decided to start over to save crabs. Just got back from pet store, bought driftwood, boiling it now, will add to tank. Can't wait to see crabs climb on it! But I guess I'll have to clean tank the old fashioned way.
oh what type of gravel vac did you get? and what type of crabs?

It was the kind that is used with gravity, and it did not work well, even when I raised tank to higher surface, suction was not that strong, it came from a mega grocery store, but same item is sold in pet stores. I bought 4 red claw crabs, found them by accident, did not know they required salt or brackish water, store did not explain their care. I have never had crabs before, and didn't know they were so entertaining! ;)

oh what type of gravel vac did you get? and what type of crabs?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back