Algae Id & Help

coldmachineUK

Reaction score
Hi, I've had this 58G tank up and running for some time but suddenly have experienced an ongoing problem with an extremely thin, stringy, almost pond weed like growth, which is rooting in wood and attaching itself to my plants, strangling them and covering them from the light.

Lights are 55W+Twin 36W (127W), T5 Interpet Daylight Plus, and they're on a timer for 9 hours a day (11.30am - 8.30pm). I originally intended this to be a low-tech -> medium tech planted tank but never really got around to regular dosing of ferts et al.

hairalgae1.jpg

hairalgae2.jpg

Can anyone ID this? Is it hair algae as I'm thinking, or is it actually pond weed or something? :S
More importantly: any tips for getting rid of it without damaging my existing plants?

TIA!

If you are not going to go full whack with fertilisers and CO2 then you need to drop that lighting down - over 2 watts per gallon is asking for algae without maintaining stable CO2 and a decent fertilisation routine (e.g. the Estimative Index). Aim for 1.5wpg or below if you don't want to go for CO2 and additional fertilising.

www.theplantedtank.co.uk has some useful algae guides on which should help identify the one in the pictures.

Most reactions

Back