Algae eater...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Dallionz

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a rubbernose pleco in my 55 gallon aquarium. I have noticed in the last week that I'm starting to get algae on the gravel and on some of the decorations. Is my rubbernose pleco going to be able to handle this? Or do I need another form of algae eater as well? And if so, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance! :)

I don't see why not.:) Your tank looks reasonably stocked, and all of the fish in it are peaceful.
I would recommend a bristle nose pleco, they are supposed to be very good algae eaters, and should get along with your other fish. Plus they are relatively cheap.
But also, if you want to get a bunch more, you could get a school (4 or 5) of otocinculus , which stay small and are good algae eaters.
Or if you wanted anything exotic that is a good algae eater, you could get a Queen Arabesque pleco. They are very showy and fairly good algae eaters. The only problem being they cost a little bit more than the others I mentioned (I bought mine for $35).
Just remember, Algae isn't going to kill your fish, so it isn't a big emergency. If you want, you could just start turning the lights off earlier to prevent further algae growth.

Thank you for your reply. :)

Are otocinculus what the pet shops call Chinese algae eaters? I've seen pictures and they look similar.

The Queen Arabesque pleco sounds interesting. I don't think I've ever seen one, but I'll have to keep an eye out for it. :)

As for turning the lights out more, I actually only have the aquarium lights on from about 6 p.m. until 10 p.m. So just the four hours a day. It's just been really hot here this summer even with the A/C and I'm sure that's attributing to it. I even turned off the heater in the aquarium all together because I was having a problem keeping the temp down low enough. Things seem to have evened out, though.

Thanks again!

If you are getting that much algae, I would suggest you find the cause for it and see what you can do about that. I don't know of fish that will eat it off the gravel as you would like.

gixer said:
I don't know of fish that will eat it off the gravel as you would like

a brisstlenose will...
Well, in that case it's better to get another high waste fish to clear it up. :/

That much algae is a problem of some sort with lighting, phosphate, nitrate etc and it's always better to tackle the course rather than adding more fish to clean up your mess.

:* to gixer (he he)

I'm sure that the algae is due to too much sunlight. It's not that close to a window and the blinds are closed. But there is more algae on the side closer to the window. This should get taken care of soon as we are putting up curtains to block even more of the sun in the next week or two. So hopefully that'll help with the source of the problem. :D

I know I asked this earlier, but I think it was a little lost in my previous post. Does anyone know if otocinculus are the same as Chinese algae eaters?

Thanks again! :)

Completely different, Chinese algae eaters eventually get very big, and tend to stop eating algae and start eating other fish's food/ other fish. Otocinculus are very peaceful and small.

The Queen Arabesque pleco sounds interesting. I don't think I've ever seen one, but I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

I had to special order mine. My pet store was able to get it in very fast though, mostly because they are not rare fish, they just cost a bit. :)

Wow, I wish I could remember where I saw that picture that looked just like a Chinese algae eater they have at the pet store but the website said it was an otocinculus. Or more likely the pet store has it labelled wrong. Thanks for clearing that up!I think I will probably get four of the otocinculus. Hopefully I'll have a chance to go by the fish store and see after work. :D

Oh, I looked up the Queen Arabesque pleco and it is a beautiful fish!

Thanks again for everyone's help. :)

Most reactions

Back