Algae (both Micro, Macro, Marine, Freshwater Etc) Vs Plants

Chiefly aquatic, eucaryotic one-celled or multicellular plants without true stems, roots and leaves, that are typically autotrophic, photosynthetic, and contain chlorophyll. Algae are not typically found in groundwater. They also may be attached to structures, rocks or other submerged surfaces. They are food for fish and small aquatic animals. Excess algal growths can impart tastes and odors to potable water. Algae produce oxygen during sunlight hours and use oxygen during the night hours. Their biological activities appreciably affect the pH and dissolved oxygen of the water.
www.nsc.org/ehc/glossary.htm

algae by definition have no 'true' stems, leaves or roots.
they can be either single or multiple celled plants

ok, thank you. So would chaeto or caulpera be an algae or a plant?

Caulpera are a genus of marine plant as they have stems and leaves they are not by definition an algae
but are often refered to as one, for some strange reason.

I've never heard of Chaeto, so dunno

Am I correct in the knowledge that the main distinction is at the cellular level?
Like...

Algae consist of homogenous cells that show no differentiation and have no cell walls.
Complex plants exhibit cellular differentiation (roots, stems, leaves, etc) and have cell walls consisting of cellulose.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Am not sure re: cell walls (I thought that plants had a cell wall and cell membrane, but animals only had a cell membrane, so the definition of algae above would make it an animal... this sounds totally wrong, and I'm not sure if it's wrong because of my understanding animal/plant cells or due to the algae/plant definition above!!).

But I agree that algae has no cellular differentiation - i.e. the cells don't form different structures with different purposes, like leaves, stems, etc.

First of all living things are note only animals and plants, There are 6 kingdoms: Animals, Plants, Fungi, Protista, Bacteria and Archea. Algea are considered protista which includes both algae and protozoans. The main thing that separates algae and plants is that algae lacks specialized tissues. I think some algae have cell walls, Dinoflagilates(red tide) have cellulose "reinforcements around their cell membranes and diatoms have silicate shells. Plants evolved from green algea.

Caulpera are a genus of marine plant as they have stems and leaves they are not by definition an algae
but are often refered to as one, for some strange reason.

I've never heard of Chaeto, so dunno

chaeto is another marine macro algae (or so called), i think the scientific name is chaetomorpha or something. It reminds me of java moss but isnt leafy and more thick.

Most reactions

Back