Algae bloom

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stephanie Symonds

Reaction score
I have a 60 gallon aquarium with plastic plants and 2 cave rocks and 1 large sculpted rock with lots of swim-throughs. My current fish are:
2 Glofish Tetra
10 Neon Tetra
6 Zebra Dannio
4 Flame Tetra
1 Yoyo Loach
2 Albino Bristlenose Pleco
4 Panda Cories

My tank was great throughout the winter except for one ammonia crisis. About 3 weeks ago it started looking cloudy again. I checked the ammonia and it was at 0 ppm. Then I noticed that the sun was coming in at a different angle (hello Spring), but I'm not sure how many days before I noticed and started keeping the curtains closed until later in the morning. My husband noticed that the water was tinted green. I bought Seachem Clarity which I added after a 30% water change. This had no effect. Also, there is no algae on the decor or the glass.

HELP

Steph

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Algae is a simple type of plant that grows from excess light and excess nutrients. It is growing in your tank because you don't have any live aquatic plants to use the light and nutrients. The safest way to fix the problem is to either reduce the light or add live plants.

You can buy aquarium backings from pet shops and these stick onto the back of the tank (on the outside). You can also use coloured card, a plastic bin liner, newspaper, or anything really. The backings stop light coming through the back of the tank and make the fish feel more secure.

If you have a light unit on top of the tank, reduce the time it is on. Have it on a timer and let it come on at 2pm or whenever.

Ambulia, Hygrophila polysperma, H. ruba/ rubra, Elodia (don't get it in winter because it dies), Hydrilla, narrow Vallis, common Amazon Sword plant, Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) are all good plants to have in an aquarium.

The Water Sprite floats on the surface and can also be grown planted in the substrate. The other plants should be planted in the gravel.

Don't add chemicals because they adversely affect the fish.

Close the curtains like you have been doing. As summer approaches, the light will come in on a different angle and the algae won't grow.

Most reactions

trending

Back