Algae! Apple Snails? Loach? Corydoras?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pcam86

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, I've started to get quite a lot of brown algae growing in my tank and was thinking of buying something to control it.

I was thinking of getting either a sucking loach, some Corydoras or an apple snail.

Can anyone give some advice on these?

no, no, and not if you've got plants.

none of the critters you listed will be good algae eaters. and since brown algae is simply part of having a new tank, i suggest you see if you can't just wait it out first. feed less, water change more, and leave the lights on :thumbs:

ok. thanks. And is using my phosphate remover also not needed?

You will not have any plant problems with an apple snail as long as its pomacea bridgesii....which is what is sold in 90% of American pet stores. They are probably one of the best algae eaters you can have for your tank and they will eat all kinds....though I have an ongoing experiment with my apples and my recent hair algae manifestation. They seem to like even that.

Just don't put them with any big carnivorous fish that can get them into their mouths.....which is something you probably won't be getting anyway.

The only experience I have with loaches is the clown loach and they weren't algae eaters.

Cories are bottom scavengers like the loaches I had...and they won't touch algae at all.

HTH

David

Phosphate remover is good if you have it and as said pomecea bridgisii snails will not eat your plants. see http://www.applesnail.net

As said, algae is a new tank thing, with regular maintenance it will not be a problem in the end.

Jon

Be careful that the snail you get is actually bridgesii. I got one a few weeks ago and it was actually canaliculata, labeled incorrectly at the pet store. :angry: It ate all my plants. :crazy:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back