Airpump, Circulation Pump, Plants And Sand

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Hamsnacks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello,

In the process of making a new tank, taking my time and slowly buying everything I need before introducing plants and fish.

Currently, it is a 60 gallon tank, 48 x 12 x 24, at the moment just have silica sand in the tank.
I have 2 x Aquaclear (Hagen) 70 Power filters, the plan is to add some drift wood, and then some what heavily plant it and then eventually some schooling fish. I have an Air pump that I was planning to use as well.

So I have heard, during the day it would be best to turn the air pump off as the plants need CO2, and then I can turn it back on at night. I have never owned a circulation pump but they seem to be pretty popular in fresh water tanks now.

Would an circulation pump be overkill as I already have the air pump and 2 power filters, or would it be beneficial because the sand.

Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Thank you!

Live plants reduce your need for filtration which can in fact be detrimental to the plants. You want a circulation of water down the length of the tank, from end to end, but not excessive--though the species of fish may need more than this, depending upon the intended species.

As for CO2, it used to be said that too much surface disturbance and/or water agitation from bubbling devices would drive off CO2 and bring in oxygen. Things have changed somewhat, due to the increase in CO2 saturation in the air around us. And in the closed confines of a house this can be even more. As well, plants respire just as fish do, and during darkness there is no photosynthesis to use the CO2 so it can build up. Surface disturbance is a good thing, provided it is not excessive, and I would simply adjust the filter return to provide it 24/7. This assumes a natural method planted tank, not using diffused CO2.

I've been very general, as the fish species and numbers, as well as the plant species and numbers, are factors that could require more circulation/surface disturbance.

Okay, since I'm not experienced with circulation pumps at all, typically how many would you use for a 48" length tank, would you just have 1 or 2 facing opposite directions. Also how far down, it is about 24" high.

Thanks for the help

Okay, since I'm not experienced with circulation pumps at all, typically how many would you use for a 48" length tank, would you just have 1 or 2 facing opposite directions. Also how far down, it is about 24" high.

Thanks for the help

I wold not have any circulation pumps, assuming you have a filter. The filter is your means of water circulation.

Oh okay, yes I would have 2 Aquaclear 70 filters running on each end.

Thanks for information, I'll pass on the circulation pumps.

Oh okay, yes I would have 2 Aquaclear 70 filters running on each end.

Thanks for information, I'll pass on the circulation pumps.

You might not want both filters, that is more than should be needed.

I'm currently building a river-tank with a massive amount of current for some lower congo species. Hillstream loaches and wcmm would also like this tank. The high flow keeps algae from growing on the plants. Most fish in the trade come from rivers so they should like some flow - of course some more than others and some not at all. Perch-like fish prefer calm water. Ancient fish, sunfish and most non-schooling large predatory fish probably would find it tiresome. I know guppies like a little flow. Cories, tetras, and loaches all like a good current. Their behavior really responds to these conditions. I went through a number of ac70 powerheads before I built this new tank. They kept burning out. This new build is a game-changer for me. I'm also doing all river plant species

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back