Air Stone Not Working

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

neon_platy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
ok so I've had an airstone for a while since my 10 gallon suddenly fish were all unable to breathe and were at surface, air stone fixed that for me...anyway when i got my 55 gallon i moved the airstone too, just to add extra bubbles on right side of the tank...anyway i noticed last night it had died so i figured ok i must need a new airstone. well me going to pet store is bad b/c i spend way too much money i.e. bought plant mat for the 55 so when my platies burst more hiding spots, new japanese style thingy for my 10 gallon for cories and i might put this HUGE blue mm platy as poor thing is startin to get harrassed by males...so if she bursts theres plants and place to hide etc. anywho i bought a bubble wall and more air stones for the 55 gallon. so i rip out hte old stone (breakin it in teh process of course) plug in the bubble wall...no bubbles...im like ok, maybe bubble wall doesn't work b/c it was just an air pump for 10 gallon and maybe it just needs regular air stone im like ok no biggie, i can always buy a new pump that's bigger later and plug in the wall then...so plug in the new small air stone that is exactly same as the one that was workin for last few weeks, nothing....nothing at all...i try unplugging, moving around the air tube, nothing...the pump is makin noise and vibrating like it usually does...any ideas?? am i screwed over on an air pump and need a new one?

Thanks!

Brian

First of all, unhook the air stone and lower just the tube in to the water. If bubbles come out of the tube, your pump is working. If no bubbles come out of the tube, unhook it from your pump and put your finger over the pump outlet. If you do not feel any air coming out of the pump outlet, you need a new pump. If you DO feel air coming out, check your airline tube for kinks and holes.....or blockages.

Also, small air pumps will have a hard time pushing air through those large bubble walls.

Maybe a blockage. Unplug the airline and see if there is air coming out. If not then something is brocken. Mess about with it in a bowl beside the airpump and see if anything happens. Maybe there is a leak in the airline.

And yes I doubt it would power an airwall. Airstones never stop working they just become less afective over time.

edit:looks like riverman got there first. Just go through what we both said and you should solve the problem.

thanks....that'll help me...i have this feeling there is something wrong with the pump and need a new one....but at least now i know if it is that or if it is a prob with the plastic air tubing...its an all day thing to clean tanks and redecorate and move pregos around LOL sigh :S

Had a problem a while back w/ a few pumps. I would pull the stone off, dip the end of hose in water a nd would have bubbles, but not with the stone/bubble wall. Frustrated I took it apart and found a small hole in the diaphragm. It just couldn't produce pressure to force anything out of the stone/wall.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back