Agressive Male Platy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishy Fishy Man

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

In my tank i have 2 red platy, two yellow both breeding pairs.

My Yellow female is pregnant ( :D ) but the yellow male has just started going crazy at the other two platys.

He has always been protective of his girl ever since he got her pregnant (i assume it was him) but just after i fed the fish today it has changed. He goes at the platies fiercly now regardless of how close they are to the female, and they are starting to get pretty stressed. The red male keeps on trying to get away... through the glass walls. I have also notice that the red males tail fin has bin split into two halves right across the middle.

I know taking the agressive male away seems the obvious choice, but would that make the female nervous and give birth to premmies? Should i move the other platies maybe to give them a rest?

In addition, i have no breeding nets or other tanks yet :/ so what would be a good substitute to put them in if needs be?

Thanks in advance for any replies

FFM

[/ newby asking of obvous questions]

EDIT- more info and just general sentence corrections

Any idea what caused your platy to hurt it's fin?

I have a similar problem with a male platy attacking a female one. I've come to the conclusion (with some help from more experienced people) that he's actually trying to establish dominance - female platys are much bigger than the males (mine are, anyway). Take a close look when he attacks - does he actually touch the other females, or just swim straight at them until they run away?

All I can say is, you're not alone, keep an eye on him and it may calm down after a few days (it did for me, at least).

For birth, I left the female in the tank then caught the fry and put them in a breeding net after birth. Platy fry are damn fast and pretty clever, I saved a load and still found 4 living happily in the tank a week later.

Disclaimer: I AM A NOOB

The only reason i can think of is from this male platy. Although i do have a red finned shark, but he is normally rpetty dosile.

He doesnt attack the female anywhere near as much as the male, and both my males are larger than the females. I think they are Juvies.

Well from the looks of things from my (also) newb eyes this seems to be more than just swimming at the fish. Ive seen him do that before, but now he actually chases them around after they start running away and he doesnt stop untill he appears to touch them. Its come to the point now that the other male is running away when mr. agressive gets anywhere near him.

In addition, i have no breeding nets or other tanks yet  so what would be a good substitute to put them in if needs be?

By this i meant if my platy needs a time out.

Thx for the quick reply Def

FFM

EDIT- Is the damage to my platy's fin likely to be repaired? Is it dangergous to him? ( it goes prettymuch to his body)

For a breeding net, any reason you can't just buy one? I got one at my local petsmart for about £4 - get the net type, rather than the plastic box type.

As for the fin problem, someone with more experience should answer. Everything I've read and seen says that if the fish is in good conditions and isn't stressed out too much, fin damage should repair itself. But, see disclaimer above.

i say take him out of the tank and put him into a bowl for an hour or so so its like when he returns he will feel calm were he aint nere his girl

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back