Agh high nitrite levels

Cheart99

Reaction score
Ok on the fifth of this month my amonia and nitrite levels were 0. I just tested them today and the amonia is still at 0 but my nitrite level is 1.6 mg/L. Now i know that cant be that good. And my test kit does not have a test for nitrate.What should i do? A water change? My test kit says to use CYCLE with

How long has the tank been set up, have you clean the filter sponges, how often to you do a water change and gravel vac, do you over feed what fish do you keep how many and which type,how big is the tank.

Assuming it is in a tank with fish in I'd recommend a fair size water change (25% to 50%) and then check the levels every day.

It may be that the tank hadn't finished cycling. while the presence of nitrites isn't a great sign, if the ammonia is 0 then it at leasts show the tank is cycling. Keep an eye on it and, if it stays high, keep doing daily water changes until the tank finishes cycling and then it should drop off.

Just as a long shot, do you know anyone with a cycled tank that you could get some mature filter media off, or maybe your local fish store would sell some to you?

Hope I helped

Andy

The tank has been set up probably a little over a month now. I have never cleand the bio fiber (if that is what you were asking) I didnt think u were suposed to. Tank is 10 gallon, fish are listed in my signature at the bottome. I feed my fish twice a day, just enough that they eat. Some flotes to the bottom but i think they eat that when the surface stuff is gone.
I have a betta in a 3.3 gallon non-filtered tank. Could i use some gravel from that tank? I change 20% of the water everyweek. Nobody elase i know has a fish tank with a filter. How long does it take to cycle. I though it was done before i cant emagine why it stoped.
I do know that my tank is proably "over stocked" for the size and amount of fish but i had to take the cory off my friend or she was going to kill it b/c she could not take care of it, and the 2 neones i rescued from another fate of being flused b/c owners were moving accross country. Could that be it?

It's probably because the extra bio-load of the new fish caught the filter off guard and it's having to cathc up. The semi-good news (as I said before) is that the ammonia is 0. so long as it stays like that it's not overly bad.

Just keep an eye on it, perform the water changes when necessary and post if anything crazy happens.

Most reactions

Back