Aggressive Parrot Fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jonny967

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why suddenly one of my parrot fish has started to attack the other? i had to seperate them last night as i though it was going to die. It was pecking at its side and made a mess of its scales.
I was of the opinion that parrot fish are a peaceful cichlid?

nah parrots can be fiesty as anything

how old are they?

Quite possibly it's got it in it's mind it's gonna breed and trying to defend a breeing site!!!!!

Little do they know ;)

How ever their not rearly a peaceful cichlid, ok most of the time they are but they dont like new introductions, they will harress them for days sometimes.

I've got two parrots in the cichlid tank and they are not only aggressive to eachother but also act like spawning blockers. Yesterday 2 borleyi's were trying to spawn and whenever the pair found any opportunity to start circling around, the parrot came and screwed up. It is like god gave him the task to maintain publicorder in the tank. My plan is to transfer the dominant parrot to the mbuna tank where I hope he will face some challenge. If still not I will have to give both away.

They are around 4" and i have had them since they were very small. They are in a 200gallon tank with my silver arowana and three oscars. None of the other fish bother them and they also don't bother other fish so just don't understand it?

Most reactions

Back