Aggressive Fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

smith8867

Reaction score
We recently bought a 25L tank from Pets At Home, mainly for my younger brother. We currently have 2 Variatus Platies and 3 African Butterfly Cichlid's in the tank - The guy in the store told us this was fine to get started in the hobby.
We have had them for almost 2 weeks and today I noticed that one of the larger Cichlids is chasing the other two Cichlids around the tank, but isn't touching the Platy fish.
I was wondering if there is a reason for this as their temperament was very neutral to begin with - I don't want to stress the other fish out.

Thanks!

I would say the guy at the store told you wrong about the cichlids being ok in a 25L tank. I found a profile for you on them that gives and idea of their needs.
http://www.aquaeden.co.uk/african_butterfly_cichlid.html

Most species of cichlids in general can be aggressive towards their own species, as well as others. You have three of them, and it is likely that they will want to pair off and spawn. They become aggressive when they want to breed, but seeing as how you have them in a pretty small tank, they will be grumpy because they don't have their own "space" and can't establish their own territories.

I say either get a larger tank or take them back to the store. Very few fish can go in a 25L tank, I wouldn't keep any species of cichlid in there. Even the 2 palties need a larger tank. I know I sound kind of mean about it, but honestly speaking, only a betta, a few guppies, shrimp, or snails will do well in a 25L

I would say the guy at the store told you wrong about the cichlids being ok in a 25L tank. I found a profile for you on them that gives and idea of their needs.
http://www.aquaeden.co.uk/african_butterfly_cichlid.html

Most species of cichlids in general can be aggressive towards their own species, as well as others. You have three of them, and it is likely that they will want to pair off and spawn. They become aggressive when they want to breed, but seeing as how you have them in a pretty small tank, they will be grumpy because they don't have their own "space" and can't establish their own territories.

I say either get a larger tank or take them back to the store. Very few fish can go in a 25L tank, I wouldn't keep any species of cichlid in there. Even the 2 palties need a larger tank. I know I sound kind of mean about it, but honestly speaking, only a betta, a few guppies, shrimp, or snails will do well in a 25L
Thank you for your response. Obviously, we are new to the fish keeping hobby, so we are still learning.
I will look into getting a bigger tank, thanks again!

African Butterfly Cichlids require a tank that is about 80x30cm, height is relatively irrelevant. For the future, always do research on the fish you wish to buy. Always. Is the tank cycled? And also could you tell us the pH and dGH (hardness) of the water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back