Aggressive Black Moor?!?!?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mhoward1999

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all! I have moved and gotten settled. We are living with the in-laws, who don't run their air conditioners very much, so my coldwater tank has been staying right around 78 degrees. :*) This doesn't seem to bother the fish, they are still active, but my black moor is being mean to the other fish. He chases them around the tank with his nose stuck up their veil-tails and nips at them. One particular fish has blood streaks on his tail from it. I have removed the black moor from the tank, but I am not at all happy with this arrangement. I thought they were very docile fish! Do you thing the black is a male and he's trying to spawn with the others? I am going to print the post about how to sex them and try to figure it out, but in case I can't does anyone have any ideas? I want them to live in harmony :wub: , not fighting all the time! :crazy:

Very strange. I have never heard of one do that, my Garra pingi pingi and weather loaches will sometimes do what you are mentioning with goldfishes tail but never causing any harm or distress and only for a few seconds. It seems you have been very unlucky an ended up with the one aggressive Black Moor, you can always say a fish will be peaceful but they all have different personalities, you can get aggressive Neons after all! :)

goldfish in general are nice fish but i have this one goldie(fantail) that has a 5 point kill on his belt. so he is in a 29 gal all by him self. some just dont like other goldies. wen mating they do get more fisky. to sex a goldie is hard but can be done. males will have breeding stars on there gills and arounf there front fins. they look almoast like ich. i dont have a pick for you but if you read up on the net about it there will be a pick or too.

Thanks for the relpys and encouragement. As a temporary measure I have the Black Moor and Red Telescope in the 10 gal together. I am watching my water chemistry very carefully. They are still small (3-4") so I don't feel it's doing them any harm for a short term thing. The two of them are doing okay. They will have a chasing spree every once in a while, but the red telescope seems to be holding it's own. I am a dunce at trying to sex them, I can't tell... I bet, though, that's what it is (spawning) considering the elevated tank temperature. Any ideas on what I could feed the others to help them grow faster? :) They are about an inch shorter than my telescope and moor. I thought since they were "less fancy" than the telescope and moor that would level the playing field, but I guess not!

...what to do, what to do? ..... :whistle: :dunno:

The help fish growth, the idea of several small feedings each day with high protien foods is best.

Okay. That's what I am doing. One problem: When I feed brine shrimp a lot of it goes to waste because it goes into my HOB filter. If I turn it off during feeding it's really hard to get started again and I don't think it's good for the motor to do that. Any suggestions?

Can you put a divider or something along those lines to stop it moving towards the filter? :)

Hmmm. Good idea. I will have to try that. I have a partition in my 29 gal at the moment to protect my last fantail guppy. I'll have to see what I can do...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back