Age Swordtails Can Be Reliably Sexed.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

the male has a sword :D
and they have the same organs as platys
good info here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=27362

it is a good way to sex them with the sword

:) I know the males have swords and how to sex them.
I was asking at what age can I sex them reliably.
Thanks for the link though some good info there.

Swordtails can be sexed between 4 and 6 months. They can start breeding at 6 months old so as soon as you see a male, separate him from the female otherwise you run the risk of the female becoming pregnant too young and dying during the birth.

Thanks for the info its very much apreciated. :good:
I will be keeping a close eye on them and will be ready to seperate them.
The fry in question are 3-4 months old.

Your welcome.

Your welcome.

Swordtails can be tricky customers when it comes to sexing!

While some males will sex out from 3 months of age, you get late developers that will be the largest and best males your ever get, these look like females until their well over a year old.

I've never had a baby swordtail that has not got it's gender by 6 months... Mine tend to get their genders at 6 months latest.

Ok that puts a different spin on things.
The majority of the fry I have I will be selling on, thats around 40 of them.
I will have to sex them as best I can.
There are a couple I will be keeping though.

Thanks for replying and the extra info.

I've never had a baby swordtail that has not got it's gender by 6 months... Mine tend to get their genders at 6 months latest.

It's very common thing.

99% of people who report that their swords have changed sex, if fact had a late developing male's
I've been keeping them for over 25 years and breed name different species of sword tails in that time, from wild fish to cultivated lines.

They can be reliably sexed about the day before they die. I had some wild types that I bought at about 6 months old and hoped that one of my new females would turn out to be a male. By the time they were a year old there were 2 obvious males. At 18 months there were 3 obvious males. At 2 years there were 5 of the 6 that were obvious males and 6 months later I sold off all 6 of my beautiful male swordtails. I never saw any fry in the tank because they were all late bloomer males from the start. You have a fair chance with a swordtail that has a body over 2 inches long but mine were near 3 inches long before the last one showed his gender.

Most reactions

Back