After Water Change, My Betta's Hyperventilating....any Suggestions

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

wendyngd

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys- FYI, I posted this also on Bettas tonight....

Don't mean to sound like a beginner but my sweet bettaboy seems to be breathing heavier than usual (opens mouth and gills are puffing out more than usual when he breathes and I don't know what to do.

I just did a complete water change of his 2 1/2 gallon bowl (w/ heater). I was fanatical about keeping the water temp constant at 80 deg. throughout the whole prcess. And shortly after I put him back in his now clean bowl, he seemed to be breathing heavy, no other symptoms, moving around fine. Comes up to top periodically to take a breath as he normally does...

I hadn't changed the tank for a few weeks (usually do ever week) 'cause I was giving him betafix for 5 or 6 days as he was seeming a little under the weather last week (or pissed off) when I had tried putting a new arch in his bowl. I took it out and it took him a few days to come back to his old self--flashing, eating. All the water was treated as usual with stresss--stuff?. I know I didn't give you any other stats than 80 deg temp, but I wanted to hear if anyone had any suggestions.

The last time I saw him breathing heavily was a few months ago--right after I did a water change--and from ready my book on mollies, I realized that I had made the water too hot!! Remedied right away and he was fine.

He might just be stressed from the water change, I hope. I just don't know what else t do for him.

Thanks.

Warm thoughts to all,
Wendy

What did you use to treat the water with?

Did you add it to the water first and then add the betta? How soon after?

Does the tank have any filtration?
In unfiltered tanks, if you have to use meds which say you shouldn't do a water change for a certain period of time, just do a water change and replace the amount of meds lost from the water. The only reason why certain brands of meds tell you not to do water changes is to prevent lowering the amount of meds present in the water, but if you replace the lost meds by doing some simple calculations, then all is well. In an unfiltered tank, ammonia can build up pretty quickly and cause stress to the fish- doing a 100% change is also stressful, and if the fish was already stressed to begin with, it can be it difficult for the fish to cope with the sudden change in its environment.

But the main thing to check- is there any posibility that any unwanted chemicals like soap, roam spray, deodrant etc could have entered the tank, even in miniscule quantities? Such chemicals are very damaging to fish and can cause fish to gasp or breath very rapidily. If things like the bucket you used for the water change (if you used one at all) had been used for cleaning something beforehand and had had a soapy mixture in it beforehand, then soap residules on the bucket could have entered the tank if you later used the bucket for the water change etc. Even if you washed your hands with soap and didn't completely wash all the soap off before you stuck your hands in the tank, that could also cause harm to the fish- fish are vey sensitive to these things.

Does the tank have any filtration?
In unfiltered tanks, if you have to use meds which say you shouldn't do a water change for a certain period of time, just do a water change and replace the amount of meds lost from the water. The only reason why certain brands of meds tell you not to do water changes is to prevent lowering the amount of meds present in the water, but if you replace the lost meds by doing some simple calculations, then all is well. In an unfiltered tank, ammonia can build up pretty quickly and cause stress to the fish- doing a 100% change is also stressful, and if the fish was already stressed to begin with, it can be it difficult for the fish to cope with the sudden change in its environment.

But the main thing to check- is there any posibility that any unwanted chemicals like soap, roam spray, deodrant etc could have entered the tank, even in miniscule quantities? Such chemicals are very damaging to fish and can cause fish to gasp or breath very rapidily. If things like the bucket you used for the water change (if you used one at all) had been used for cleaning something beforehand and had had a soapy mixture in it beforehand, then soap residules on the bucket could have entered the tank if you later used the bucket for the water change etc. Even if you washed your hands with soap and didn't completely wash all the soap off before you stuck your hands in the tank, that could also cause harm to the fish- fish are vey sensitive to these things.

Thanks for the prompt answers! He seems to me mstly back to his old self again--though he's not opening his mouth like before--just a little faster breathing in the gills.

I treat the water first in a gallon water jug that we only use for the fish with stresszyme (as always). And I keep him in a littlle globe bowl filled with the water frm the tank I'm changing=as briefly as possible--usually 5 min.. I set up jugs of water nearby and don't start changing any water until they're all at 80 degrees like his bwl always is. After washing the bowl in steaming hot water only to clean it, I put the newly treated water in about 2/3 of the bowl , replace his usual plants--silk or plastic--and put him back in. He always seemed very happy after water changes. Maybe this time it was also that the bowl had betafix in it, too, that it seemed foreign to him. I always throw out the little bowl of old water he's been hanging out in.

I know he's not real fond of his little fishnet--but I try to be as gentle as possible when I have to move him--let him swim in and out of it if possible. Unfortunately, he "runs" to the other side of the bowl when I use the net to skim off uneaten food off the top.

Great input about the meds--It is an unfiltered tank...just a heater, so next time I need to medicate him with this, I'll take your wonderful suggestion of how to handle keeping the water clean, too.

I appreciate the feedback. I was just scared by his breathing and didn't know what else to do--but your comments about his sensitivies to so many things reassured me! Happy Valentines Day to all.

Much fishy love,
Wendy

StressZyme is a biological additive to boost the nitrogen process. Does it also remove heavy metals and chlorine, chloramine, etc? I don't remember that it does. It is recommended, I believe, that if you are using StressZyme that you also use Stress Coat with it to remove tap water contaminants. Any chlorine, chloramine or heavy metals could also cause the fish to breath heavily. I would recommend that you use a a water conditioner such as StressCoat, AmQuel+, Prime, NovAqua+Plus, AquaSafe, etc., to remove contaminants and add stress coating.

I use the Betta's little cup they came in to scoop the Betta out of his tank/bowl. Usually if I do it right he will just be -whoosh- sucked into the cup when it fills with water. I think done well it is less stressful than the net. They never leave the water, and there is no chance of damage to the fins. After a while the boys and girls seem to go alone with the routine and do less running.

StressZyme is a biological additive to boost the nitrogen process. Does it also remove heavy metals and chlorine, chloramine, etc? I don't remember that it does. It is recommended, I believe, that if you are using StressZyme that you also use Stress Coat with it to remove tap water contaminants. Any chlorine, chloramine or heavy metals could also cause the fish to breath heavily. I would recommend that you use a a water conditioner such as StressCoat, AmQuel+, Prime, NovAqua+Plus, AquaSafe, etc., to remove contaminants and add stress coating.

I use the Betta's little cup they came in to scoop the Betta out of his tank/bowl. Usually if I do it right he will just be -whoosh- sucked into the cup when it fills with water. I think done well it is less stressful than the net. They never leave the water, and there is no chance of damage to the fins. After a while the boys and girls seem to go alone with the routine and do less running.

Hi- Thanks. I did mean stresscoat-just didn't have the bottle in front of me. That's a great suggestion about the little cup (even though my guy arrived in a bag).And I'm dealing with an old fashioned smaller neck round 2 1/2 gallon fishbowl--but maybe I can figure out something similar to do. Thanks. Wendy

Did you do a complete water change or just a 30% or so of the water?

Maybe it's different with betta bowls, but I don't think it's right to change 100% of the water in any situation.

Did you do a complete water change or just a 30% or so of the water?

Maybe it's different with betta bowls, but I don't think it's right to change 100% of the water in any situation.

Yes, it is different with this bowl. It's 2 1/2 gallon, heated unfiltered so it needs to be changed 100 percent weekly or more I've heard. I, too, wasn't sure aboout that till I researched it. It's more like you said for my mollies...Thanks-Wendy

Sorry about the long post on water conditioners. :blink: :blush:

I see lots of posts scolding for 100% water changes for Bettas. And I see lots of different methods, but I do 100% or nearly so in all my Betta tanks and bowls. I try to either acclimate them when returning them to the bowl or match water temps when using a hose and leaving them in. I frankly am more concerned about 10% changes weekly in the often small Betta quarters.

I see often 10% water changes being advised for unfiltered Betta bowls--even gallon bowls. I am a little :hyper: when I see them, but I don't have anything but tradition to go on so I don't say anything. I think it would be good for someone to do water tests to find out what works best. For me I am sticking with the weekly 100% changes for the Betta bowls.

Sorry about the long post on water conditioners. :blink: :blush:

I see lots of posts scolding for 100% water changes for Bettas. And I see lots of different methods, but I do 100% or nearly so in all my Betta tanks and bowls. I try to either acclimate them when returning them to the bowl or match water temps when using a hose and leaving them in. I frankly am more concerned about 10% changes weekly in the often small Betta quarters.

I see often 10% water changes being advised for unfiltered Betta bowls--even gallon bowls. I am a little :hyper: when I see them, but I don't have anything but tradition to go on so I don't say anything. I think it would be good for someone to do water tests to find out what works best. For me I am sticking with the weekly 100% changes for the Betta bowls.

Thanks for the apology re water conditioners--but not necessary. It was good, constructive and informative info and I know it's coming from your heart (and love of bettas)...

I do have one question about your earlier suggestion about using the small jar you apparently got from the lfs to put him in when I change the water--so as not to ever have him have to experience being netted and out of the water (ooooh, doesn't that sound awful?). I do have something I could use that would even fit in the mouth of my bowl. My only hesitation is keeping him in something that small for even 5 minutes seems like punishment. I usually put him either in a 4 cup glass measuring cup or lately, a gallon globe-like thing that is made for bettas if we still agreed t keep them in these tiny things. He always seems pretty happy in the globe.

So is it more stressful to have him be in a tiny jar for 5-10 min. as I change water (all pre-stabilized, treated and tested for temperature consistency) or to net him and put him in a bigger bowl for that time. He usually didn't seem to mind the later, but last time, he really seemed unhappy (which was when he started hyperventilating when he got back in his regular bowl.)

And now I have the added new habit by him of being petrified and diving down as far as he can get away when I use the same net to skim off the uneaten food! I feel so bad when he does that. Wish he could tell me what his preference is...

Regards,
Wendy ^_^ :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :fish: :fish: :fish:

Most reactions

Back