Advice with Cycling

ZElisha

Reaction score
Hello all! So I have an old tank that I'm planning on setting up using tetra safestart, however I have a few questions:

1. I'd like to do a fishless cycle so want to use the TSS to jumpstart the cycle. I'll be adding ammonia to the tank but I'm unsure how much to add? The tank is about 68 litres, but I believe the TSS is designed for a fish-in cycle so should I be adding ammonia gradually?

2. Is there a better product I could use than TSS for jumpstarting a fishless cycle? I've used it before with a lot of success however that was only with fish-in cycles.

3. I'm hoping to add live plants to the tank, so do I do the cycle with them already in there, or add them after? Will the ammonia affect them?

4. How long does TSS actually take to work in a fishless cycle? I've seen some people say 48 hours, others say a week, and some saying even longer. I'd like to get the tank cycled as quickly as possible so I'm not opposed to buying another bottle should the first not work.

5. Not about cycling, but I'm looking at putting a betta in this tank so will be getting a sponge filter. I've never used a sponge filter before, so how do they work? And does anyone have any recommendations for good brands? I'm in the UK so preferably ones I could find at my fish shop.

Sorry for all the questions!

Follow the guide as linked below, the TSS should speed things up a bit but I'm not convinced by it. If doing a fishless cycle add ammonia to 3ppm then the whole bottle of TSS, there is plenty of food for the bacteria and you cannot overdose TSS.
TSS will not work in 48 hours, if you use it still follow the guide, test and add more ammonia as the test results dictate.
If you want to add live plants consider a silent cycle, fully scape your tank, and when the plants start growing start to add fish gradually.
Cycling Your New Fresh Water Tank: Read This First! | Tropical Fish Forums

#5 - sponge filters work by using an air pump to draw the water through the sponge. You will need the actual filter, an air pump, a length of airline tubing and a one way valve. Spme pumps come with tubing and a valve in the pack; some don't and you have to buy them separately.

When I had a sponge filter I used an Eheim air pump. The smallest one is suitable for you tank, and it comes with tubing and a valve. This pump is one of the quietest and I had mine standing on top of an old filter sponge to deaden any noise from it vibration on the kitchen worktop.
As for the filter itself, there are filters which sit on the bottom of the tank, and filters which attack to the glass with suckers. The shop I got mine from advised me to get the kind the sit of the bottom of the tank, and with a weighted base as in his experience the type with suckers can detach themselves from the glass and float and then they don't work properly. This is the one I had (the smallest one as it was in a 25 litre tank)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CCB3P4P/?tag=

I do need to warn you though - bettas are best kept alone; no tank mates. A 68 litre tank with just one betta would be great for the betta but you will be very tempted to add other fish.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you both for your replies!

I've never heard of a silent cycle however it seems like a good idea since I'm wanting to add plants. Do I still add TSS and ammonia for a silent cycle? Had a quick search but I'm a little lost on what I need to do.

What sorts of plants should I be adding to help the silent cycle? I was planning on getting Amazon Swords, Anacharis, and some Marimo moss balls; are these any good and will any other plants be a good idea?

Thank you for the recommendations for the filters! No need to worry about tank mates, I plan on just getting the betta and some plants. Originally I was going to buy a smaller tank for the betta, but figured I may as well use my old one since a larger tank would be better for him anyway.

A silent cycle is basically plant a tank to about 30% plants, when plants start growing slowly add fish. Safe Start won't do any harm but I would add it when I add the first fish as the bacteria need ammonia.

Most reactions

Back