Advice please

brianriv

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am plainning on getting a Bristlenose but I was curious if I can get 2 of them. Or if not 2 can get 1 and some clown loaches. I have a 50 gallon tank. I am new at this so the help is highly appreciated. Thankyou
Another question. Is my tank (50 gl) big enough to hold a full grown common pleco as well as clown loaches (full grown as well). Or will it get too crowded. I want an effecient tank. I don't want to over crowd. I have read alot of stories about people buying fish not realizing how big they get. Again thanks for the help

dimensions? if it is wide enough it is possible. while plecos are known to be gigantic, due to inbreeding and genetics, they usually just reach around 12-14. if the width of your tank is 16 or more it might work. just be ready to move the fish if it exceeds that length. i also think your 2 bnoses will do fine

yeah its too small if you plan on keeping a large one for life. you can get one but just be sure to have a home for it in case it gets too big

The bristlenose are neat fish and knowing that they canbe there without worry of them growing too large is a plus! I'd go with one and some cory cats. :D

ALASKA

I posted the following questions in the beginner section but not replies. I think maybe it would do better here since I know that i need a Bristlenose now. Here goes:

I have a 50g 48x13x17. 4 zebra danios and 6 micky mouse platies. My tank is just about finished cycling so I have been thinking of what to fill the tank with now. I would like these fish: Clown Loaches, Bristlenose Pleco, Silver Dollar, Dwarf Gourami, and a nice school of Tetras (haven't decided on which ones yet). My questions:
1. Are they all compatable
2. Which order (if compatable) would be best to introduce them to the tank.
3. How many of each can I get. (I would like to keep them all in the same tank throughout there life if that is possible.)
Let me know what you guys think of this combo and any other suggestions is very welcome. Thanks.

Thankyou for the feedback. I was hoping for alittle more though :( If you guys are unsure of the answers but know that some of the fishes that I have listed go well with other fish that would be appreciated too. Just reminding that I would like to keep all the fish in one tank for their entire lifespan. Thanks again.

An adult Common Pleco will do fine in a 50 gallon though a group of Clown Loaches needs 75 gallons at least if not 100 gallons. Bristlenose only grow to 6" so you could keep a dozen in there if you wanted.

brianriv said:
I have a 50g 48x13x17. 4 zebra danios and 6 micky mouse platies. My tank is just about finished cycling so I have been thinking of what to fill the tank with now. I would like these fish: Clown Loaches, Bristlenose Pleco, Silver Dollar, Dwarf Gourami, and a nice school of Tetras (haven't decided on which ones yet). My questions:
1. Are they all compatable
2. Which order (if compatable) would be best to introduce them to the tank.
3. How many of each can I get. (I would like to keep them all in the same tank throughout there life if that is possible.)
Let me know what you guys think of this combo and any other suggestions is very welcome. Thanks.
The Clowns and Silver Dollars are out of the question, as I said in the above post. The Silver Dollars can get bigger than the Clowns and like Clowns prefer groups of 3-6 or more.

The Tetras and Dwarf Gourami might be compatible. I'm not positive on them though.

Well this thread will probably get sent to beginner questions at this point. Sorry to the moderators. :D
Well thanks for that info Teelie. I really would've liked some Clown Loaches :unsure: oh well. Well let me ask you would Some Clown Barbs do well with the Bristlenose and Gouramis? I know I need about 5 of the CBs to keep them occupied. I have read they grow to about 5 inches so I am thinking that is ok but I would like to be sure before I buy anything. Cycling was way easier than thinking of what to stock in the tank.

I want some Clowns myself but I just don't have the resources yet to keep them. :sad:

Clown Barbs I can't think of details off hand but should be alright with a Bristlenose and Gouramis. I'm not positive though.

Most reactions

Back