Advice on tall tanks

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

zain611

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
This might be a silly question but how can I get around setting up a tall aquarium I.e having to reach down to place ornaments, substrate etc? The height including the cabinet is 137.5cm. This excludes the height of the lid as I can remove that. Not planning on setting it up possibly to next week or 2

How tall/ high is the tank without the cabinet?

If an aquarium is 2ft high the average person can lean in and move stuff about. If you want to put plants in you can buy plant tongs that are 2ft long and these can also be used to take things out of the tank.

If you're interested (or may become interested) in a planted tank, lighting is a bigger issue. Light has an issue penetrating deep, especially with some floating plants. No more than 24" and 18" is better. As for reaching in and planting....a good stool and doing planting/moving decor during the 25-50% weekly water change solves most challenges....and/or don't be afraid to get yer sleeves wet. :)

I think I may look at getting a stool then. The tank is 72cm high and I can just about manage to reach the bottom of it but will be a pain when having to reach the back. I haven't kept plants but might try getting easy low tech ones like java fern. Might get the java ferns which are already attached to drift wood. I have a moss ball so might get more when I set up the tank. Lightning might be something to look at. The tank came with LEDs so would that be better than fluorescent tubing? I have fluorescent tubes in my current tank and I don't like how it flickers before coming on as that scares the fish.

You need some plant tongs and spot lights if you want plants growing in the substrate. Otherwise fluoros with floating plants.

Fluorescent globes are fine for 18 inches of water. Hi output T5 globes do around 20-24inches. Led strip lights are suitable for about 18inches of water. If you want to grow plants that are not floating, you will need some decent 200watt spotlights to go down 72cm.

Don't use a stool to stand on, they are not safe. Get a good quality step ladder with 4 or 5 steps and rubber feet so it doesn't slip.

I dunno Colin, I have a 48" Finnex Planted Plus 24/7 LED running on my 24" tall 60g in 24/7 mode from 6am till midnight:

20180409_101435 - w.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back