ADF

Lil

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a small ADF, The guy at my LFS said they were comunal and could be housed with tropical fish are the any fish they shouldnt be housed with and what types of fish can they be housed with.

Most small tropical fish wont bother your dwarf frog.
Though I have seen my guppies and platys harrass them a bit when its feeding time.
The ADF isnt very smart when it comes to eating, they have a hard time getting to the food before the other fish eat it all.

You dont want to house your ADF with anything that would eat it.
Oscars, cichlids, pretty much any fish that could fit the frog in its mouth is a no no.
Sometimes you can get away with housing them with male betta's.
Depends though.
Some male betta's "will" kill it, yet others will leave them alone, its a chance you take and dont know what will happen until you try.
Better not to try then to try and have a dead ADF.
I found out that mine doesnt like frogs the hard way! :(

Will he be ok with my Tiger plec they are not in the same tank at the moment

Hmmm, that Im not sure about.
How big is that plec, some pleca can be aggresive towards some species.
I dont think it would be a problem, but maybe someone else would know better.

In my LFS it said Tiger Plecs can get to 4inch maximum not sure if this is correct or not does anyone else know.

there are a few different types of tiger plecs.
I know king tiger plecs reach a foot long.
Spose you should find out which tiger you have and go from there.

I know I have a clown plec with my ADF and it doesnt seem to bother my frogs, I had a common plec with ADF's before, though it was still quite small (4 inches) and it didnt bother my frogs.

Thanks can you recommend a good website which identifies which type of tiger plec i have. Tried planetcatfish.com but did not have much luck identifiying my plec. :/ I hope i dont have a king tiger plec LOL

In my experience most fish will be ok with an ADF unless they are of a size to eat the frog. Likewise an ADF will not hassle fish. However, it can be tricky to feed your frog with fish in the tank. Frogs are poor hunters (in fact it is a wonder that they survive at all) and fish will normally find the food. My two frogs find themselves outcompeted for food by the three shrimp which are their tank mates.

'spose it depends still on what kinda fish you have.
I have three ADF housed with my guppies/platy breading tank.
I've seen my ADF take stabs at my fully grown guppies, probably just reacting to their movement, and flipside, I've seen my fully grown guppies take nips at them, nothing to worry about that much though.
It's the fry that you need to know about, ADF will eat fry if they can get 'em.
I've seen my ADF eat fry, spit them out and eat 'em again. :blink:

I feed my ADF by hand or with a piar of grabbing tongs.

Most reactions

Back