ADF sex?

Easystreet

Reaction score
Hello,

Last night the bigger of my two ADF's grabbed the smaller one around the waist and went to town. I assume this means the smaller one is a girl.

The "girl" is always by this decoration in my tank. When my betta comes lurking by the female gets very "protective" of that area. I see nothing there though. Like no eggs or anything. That is where they started to mate. If thats what they were doing.

Questions:

I assume ADF's lay eggs. If so do they deposit them somewhere or do they carry them?

Will the parents eat the tad poles like most parents seem to eat their young?

My betta is sure to have a feast on tad poles. Will that be ok?

Thanks,
Jason

Make sure the larger one isnt hurting her. I lost my girl in breeding. I found this info on another site

Breeding and tadpoles:

* When the weather gets warm, they get very ...cuddly. The male clasps the back of the female and hangs on. When the male grabs the female around her midsection, it's called amplecting. The female tends to do a dance like swishing of her flippers at this time. They can swim around like that for hours. When they actually mate, they swim around in loops in the tank, so it looks like they are doing circus acts. Once in a blue moon the eggs they lay will hatch...(you can usually tell that the eggs aren't going to survive if they look cloudy or milky- this means that they have gotten some air exposure and won't be able to hatch.)
* Unfortunately, even in the rare occasion that they do hatch, and you manage to save these teeny tiny...(and I really mean tiny) black caviar sized tadpoles into a separate tank... I don't think its likely that they will ever survive long. I tried it a few times, (it gets warm in my home a lot!) and it has never worked for me.
What I've been able to learn, though, is if you want to try to raise the tadpoles, they need to be quickly separated from the tank where their parents are...(the adults tend to mistake the tadpoles for food and by the time they spit them out the little guys are pretty much toast)...into an aerated tank, which,( and I hear this is important) must be kept at 74 degrees F. For feeding at this tiny size, you can try this powder stuff that can be bought in pet stores (that have fish) that makes the water a bit cloudy but has protein in it...and if they live long enough, try spiralina fish flakes until they are big enough to eat bloodworms. They are meat eaters, so they should be switched to the bloodworms as soon as possible.

Most reactions

Back