Adding salt

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Some breeders keep noens tetras in a teaspoon of salt in there tank, they can tolerate it , I would only recommend it if the fish are ill, then remove the salt when they are better.

Some breeders keep noens tetras in a teaspoon of salt in there tank

The amount of salt added depends on the size of the tank - as far as I know 1 teaspoon of salt to 1 imperial gallon is sufficient. Using salt depends on the type of fish. Scaleless fish (loaches, plecs, catfish, fresh water eels, etc) can get burnt by a high concentration of salt.

pcam86 said:
Well both ich meds that were available to me contained malachite green which i know is also bad for the neons and also my fry so i don't see your problem with salt! Malachite green also DOES cause problems to the bio filter which is why my tank had to start cycling from scratch again!

Also Tokis-Phoenix i haven't risked my neons for 3 platies its actually more like 14 platies!!!
I was never advising you to use malachite green and never have.
You said before hand you had 10 fry and 3 adult platys, where has the extra platy come from? anyways, thats not the point.

Ok, if you quote me on this i said "AROUND 10 PLATY FRY"

I've already added the salt and it seems to have had no bad effects and the white spot isn't as bad but i'll only know for sure after a few more days.

I did however lose a neon yesterday and there was NO trace of him anywhere this morning. His death didn't have anything to do with the salt because it was in a bad way before i added the salt.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back