Adding Rock To Aquarium

mitch70

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am trying to go for a more natural look in my tank (get rid of all the ornaments the kids wanted in), I have acquired some bogwood (currently soaking for last few days) and I have just bought two large pieces of rock from LFS. Hopefully these will make my tank look more grown up.

Does the rock need any preparation? or does it just need washed to get rod of any dirt etc from sitting on the shelves?

Yes, just washing in hot water will be fine :)

Thank you. So I don't have to boil, add vinegar or boil?

Vinegar is used to test rock for calcium; if the vinegar fizzes when it's put on the rock, it shows that the rock will release minerals into your water and harden it and raise the pH; it's nothing to do with cleaning or sterilizing :) Actually, FWIW, I've been told that vinegar is a far too weak an acid to be of any use; you really need something stronger, like rust remover!

And you should never, ever boil rocks; they can have pockets of air trapped inside which expand as the rock heats and which can, in certain cases, make the rock explode!

Rocks collected from the 'wild' need more thorough scrubbing, and maybe boiling water poured over them and then left to stand, but rocks from your LFS should only need a brief clean :)

Once again thanks for the quick reply

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back