Adding fish to display tank q's.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cowgirluntamed

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So...quarantine is almost over. Yay! I just had a question about adding the fish to the display tank.

It's a 55 gallon, trying to be planted. That tank currently has 1 bristlenose pleco and 6 peppered cories. I do have some floating amazon frogbit and salvinia that are growing amazingly well though! I need to plant the others that have just been in there for a while so I'm hoping they will take off then.

Anyway, I have 2 ten gallon tanks. One has 12 glowlight tetras and the other has 1 harlequin rasbora and 10 peppered cories.

My question....can I add them all at once? Or do I need to add one group and then wait a bit to add the other?

Also, do I need to do a water change before or after adding them? (After as in like a day or so?)

With growing floating plants, you can add all mentioned fish at the same time.

As for the water change...if the parameters of the two tanks are close, I wouldn't bother. It is only when they are substantially different that I might "mix" the two waters mid-way. Do the regular weekly water change on the 55g when it is next due.

Have your fish finally stopped dying?

Are you still filtering the water before using it?

Make sure the pH is the same in both tanks and use the filtered water on the big tank. You don't want the glowlights to start dying again.

With growing floating plants, you can add all mentioned fish at the same time.

As for the water change...if the parameters of the two tanks are close, I wouldn't bother. It is only when they are substantially different that I might "mix" the two waters mid-way. Do the regular weekly water change on the 55g when it is next due.

Thanks Byron! Parameters should be the same. I use the same water on each tank. I'm just glad the floating plants are doing well!

Have your fish finally stopped dying?

Are you still filtering the water before using it?

Make sure the pH is the same in both tanks and use the filtered water on the big tank. You don't want the glowlights to start dying again.

Yes! They finally stopped dying. Thankfully! Everybody is looking well. I'm getting antsy! Lol.

I am still prefiltering the water for sure and using it on every tank. I have two 30 gallon trash bins that I use and almost fill them full (mostly to reduce splashing from filters but also in case I want to do a bigger water change). I start prefiltering Monday to do a water change Thursday. The only thing I've needed to keep an eye on is the temperature. The first time I did it I just used cold water and it didn't warm up enough at all and the heater took forever to get it warm. But now I've been putting it in warmer than what they need and letting it cool down and so far so good. It may get a degree or two less than the tanks but that's not major so all is good!

A bit cooler water change is a good idea, just so long as it is not extreme. I always run cooler water than the tank water temp, and I fill 60-70% with a water change. There are very few fish where this might be a problem (my Chocolate Gourami, discus come to mind). Room temperature water should be OK.

It's good they are no longer dying. It's annoying losing fish and when you can't figure it out it's even worse.

I hope you're filtering your drinking water too. If it kills fish it can't be good for you either :)

A bit cooler water change is a good idea, just so long as it is not extreme. I always run cooler water than the tank water temp, and I fill 60-70% with a water change. There are very few fish where this might be a problem (my Chocolate Gourami, discus come to mind). Room temperature water should be OK.

I didn't think it would be much of a problem as long as it wasnt huge. Thanks! And I do a 50-60% change most times as well!

It's good they are no longer dying. It's annoying losing fish and when you can't figure it out it's even worse.

I hope you're filtering your drinking water too. If it kills fish it can't be good for you either :)

I think it was probably a combination of them already having something plus the pH fluctuation with my water changes. That may have stressed them enough to go over the top and die. But I definitely don't think it was the only thing since I was losing them without doing water changes....but I guess I will never know. I'm just very thankful they are doing well! The best since I've had them so that's awesome!

As for the drinking water? We've lived off it for years without problems. I was raised on this water. So no filtering for us there and everybody is perfectly fine. Though, I do tend to drink it after its been in a plastic bottle for a day or two...best to have lids on things with cats and dogs around! Lol.

@Colin_T @Byron

Ok...one more question I forgot to ask...lol. my blue 3 spot gourami is currently in his own 20 gallon tank. I want to put him in the display tank to see how he does with other fish.

When should I put him in to try it out? Should I get the display stocked with all the glowlights and rasboras I want first? Or just do this group and let them settle? I'm hoping he will do good with them but just in case I will keep the 20 gallon on standby of course!

I would add the tetras and rasboras, wait a couple of weeks and if they are fine, then add the blue gourami. Some gouramis are fine with small fish but others are not.

I would add the tetras and rasboras, wait a couple of weeks and if they are fine, then add the blue gourami. Some gouramis are fine with small fish but others are not.

Just the current group I have that I will be adding soon or wait until after I have the big group I want?

Add the current fish you have, eg: the remaining glowlights and 1 harlequin rasbora and the Corydoras. Wait a few weeks and if everyone is happy and there have been no deaths and no issues, then add the blue gourami.

If you get more glowlights and harlequin rasboras, quarantine them for a month before putting them in with the others that you have had for a while.

And when you acclimatise the new tetras and rasboras that you haven't got yet but will buy (see I know what your thinking), try to get the pH of your quarantine tank/s similar to the shop before you get the fish. Ask the supplier what their pH is and match your quarantine tanks to that. Then do small water changes to raise the pH to what yours normally is. :)

Add the current fish you have, eg: the remaining glowlights and 1 harlequin rasbora and the Corydoras. Wait a few weeks and if everyone is happy and there have been no deaths and no issues, then add the blue gourami.

If you get more glowlights and harlequin rasboras, quarantine them for a month before putting them in with the others that you have had for a while.

And when you acclimatise the new tetras and rasboras that you haven't got yet but will buy (see I know what your thinking), try to get the pH of your quarantine tank/s similar to the shop before you get the fish. Ask the supplier what their pH is and match your quarantine tanks to that. Then do small water changes to raise the pH to what yours normally is. :)

Thanks Colin! Yes, you do know my mind on that. I will get more of them. Lol. I will probably go to that shop tomorrow to check out their fish and HOPE they have what I want (not buying yet of course! Lol). I will try my best to remember to ask what their water parameters are.

I will definitely quarantine as well. I don't want more deaths from anything accidental! So you don't have to worry there.

At least...if the tetras, rasbora, and cories are comfortable, I can at least get more for the quarantine to keep myself busy. Lol. The only thing I see possibly is the bristlenose freaking out a bit with even more cories around....he's gotten used to 6. Lol. Still can be territorial with them at times so 10 more? Who knows....lol. he does love to eat their eggs though....that was funny to watch. Lol.

Thanks for the info Colin!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back