Adding clown loaches

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Corruptor

Reaction score
I've got a 55usg tank with a number of community fish (platies, guppies, neons, one gourami and some harlequins). Also in the tank is one clown loach that I've had for the last 2 years. I started with 3, but the other 2 died a couple of months after we got them. How will the existing loach react to some new brothers & sisters? Will they need to be similar in size (3-1/2"), or can I get away with adding smaller (2" range) fish?

Thanks. That's good, I was worried that there might be some serious hostility / territory issues if I just dropped them in.

He should really appreciate some new friends. I've seen full grow clown loaches living with clown loaches a few inches long, they don't really seem to mind if they are different sizes.

You should be fine. Why did they die last? Ich? Have ich medicine on the side and try not to lose these ones.

Actually, I have no idea why they died, but I don't think it was ich. When first introduced into the tank they were all well and good, but they hid most of the time. After about 2 months one of them just vanished. No body, nothing. Just gone. The next one disappeared a few months after that. There are no predatory fish in the tank, the loaches were the largest things in there. I will take your advice though, and get some medicine when I pick the new ones up.

Hmmm, sometimes loaches just vanish. Either they are STILL hiding (unlikely) or they just died (duh). That's weird

I would, we all get ich some time. That sucks that the clowns just vanished. My first clown would hide when there was nothing in the tank. Weird.

FrAnK3333 said:
I would, we all get ich some time. That sucks that the clowns just vanished. My first clown would hide when there was nothing in the tank. Weird.
I have that happen with skunk loaches.

oscar_lover2005 said:
a full grown clown loach will not fit in a 55g.
Yeah, I know. If they get too big for the tank, I'll have to sell them off. I've got a couple of quality fish stores (ie: not petsmart, walmart, etc.) that will sell them or direct me to someone that would want them. Or, maybe I'll just have to move up to a 125 gallon tank :nod:

Sorry but I disagree. A full growen clown loach wouldnt fit in a 55, but you know how long it takes to get there? Years depending on the size its at now. A 75 gallon can hold a fully growen clown. They can get to 12 inches, but its rare that they do in a aquarium.

:dunno: disagree all you want but if a clown loach gets proper care diet anviorment water quality it in 5years it will reach its full size. not even in a 75g it will fit. trust me on this one i had one in a 75g it out grew it and i had to put him in my 300g pond this year.

:unsure:Wheres loachlover! Clown loaches are knowen to to grow slowly. Most reaching 8 inches. If you have one bigger post a picture.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back