Added otto's to my cycled tank but both died

Thanks Ohhfleeshy. Its not just the inches its the fact the also need room to swim. 2 inches per gallon is more for if you know what your doing, 1 inch per gallon is if your starting out.

Tutut you spelt my name wrong :p
And besides, you added too many fish at once. You should aim to add 3 o so at a time. You mentioned getting a bigger tank, IMO it depends how long it will be until you get this as to whether you should take back the tetras. Anyway, get a betta and an ADF or similar.

So its down to how long it will take for these fish to outgrow the tank then, this will be answered via my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings, if im not getting any readings on ammonia or nitrite and nitrate is around 7 ppm in 4 weeks, then im not overstocked, i test every day

I agree that if i was not going to buy a larger tank soon and transfer them, then i would soon be overstocked as they grow, but ive got the bug now and theres no turning back!

:D

By the way the ph of my tank is 7.2 ppm, the lfs where i bought the two otto's said his tank is 7.2 ppm as well, so this didnt kill them :dunno:

Ifyou plan to upgrade this week keep the tetras otherwise take them back. Like said in other posts the otos died because the tank for one isnt big enough, which otos need good water, and two the tank isnt that mature. Mnay otos die at the lfs when the come in, you have to wait to get the good ones. What your not really understanding is that tetras need space to swim. Danios get to about 2 inches and they need atleast a 20 gallon because they are fast and constant swimmers.

FrAnK3333

What is a stocking density?

This is a guideline that lets you know the approximate number of fish you can keep in your aquarium (or pond). Although basic, such a calculation gives you a rough idea of whether you’ve got too many fish.

We recommend:

Tropicals: 1" per gal./ 2.5cm per 4.55 l. initially, then 2" per gal./5cm per 4.55 l. after six months.

:D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back