Acriflavine and Temperature

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Fishworks

Reaction score
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!,

My buddy got me a betta this holiday season. However, I notice the betta has some velvet parasite on it.
Already did some research and I choose to treat using Acriflavine. At my location, it is easy to get and cheap too.
I want to set the temperature to 30C to speed up the lifecycle of the parasite. Is this an okay temperature to use with Acriflavine?

I ask because I found an online company that says not to use it above 25C.
Link Below:

Thanks!

Raising temps is one treatment for one parasite - Ich. It's one I don't use because it affects oxygen levels.

Acriflavine (great stuff but illegal where I am) is affected by oxygen levels, so I'd respect the instructions. There is nothing to be gained, and a lot to be lost.
Many parasites adore warmer temps, and by cranking the heat without a proven plan, you can work against your fish.

Darkness will be your friend here, as oodinium photosynthesizes. On its own it isn't enough, but lack of light weakens this parasite.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Are you sure the fish has velvet?
It is uncommon for Bettas to get white spot or velvet because they are not normally housed with other fish.

--------------------
You can treat white spot and velvet with heat 30C for a couple of weeks, or at least 1 week after all the spots have gone. Velvet generally takes a few weeks to get rid of with heat.

If you raise the water temperature, you decrease the oxygen levels in the water. Medications also reduce the oxygen level in water. Having said that, bettas are labyrinth and can take air from the atmosphere so low oxygen levels aren't normally a problem for them.

If you want to use chemicals, set the temperature on 25-26C and use the acriflavine, Malachite Green or Copper to treat velvet or white spot. There is no need to raise the temperature to 30C if using chemicals.

--------------------
Before treating the fire, do the following.

Remove carbon from filters before using medication.

Wipe the inside of the glass down

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter.

Most reactions

Back