Acaras And Severums Both At It...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SouthernCross

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I think I might be in for a problem shortly!

My two green Severums lay eggs probably every other week, but they seem to go bad after a few days every time and then they eat them and then a week later they start all over again. They are not overly aggressive ( except towards me when I'm trying to clean! Ouch!) only chasing the other fish out of their area.

But now it seems my female acara has got it on her brain too (well, the one I think is the female). She seems to be defending the opposite corner of the tank to the Severums, ie chasing the others out of the area, and she is doing her best to impress my male with lots of shimmy dances. He is following her around but otherwise not taking that much notice of her and hasn't become territorial like she has all of a sudden. He is usually the peacekeeper in the tank and I see him breaking up fights between my angels all the time!

So all the other poor fish are caught in the middle at the moment. Now, am I right in thinking I might have acara eggs very shortly too? How long is courting likely to go on for? It will be nice to see but I'm not sure how it is going to go with the Severums also at it at the other end.... Am I Rita hat this is breeding behaviour and does anyone have any advice?

Sounds like breeding behavior, but you can't be certain until they breed. The best thing to do, would be to setup separate breeding tanks for the breeders.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back