A way to get around cycling?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Gix

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was basically wondering if there's a way to get around cycling a tank, just because I'm impatient sometimes. :) I was thinking of the plan of getting a filter in which bacteria easily build up (like a bio-wheel), and putting it in my already running tank. Over the course of a couple of weeks (maybe? no idea as to the time frame), the bacteria would grow in this filter. I could then put back my original filter, and use the bio-wheel in the new tank. This would (maybe) transplant the bacteria to the new tank and set things up for new fish. I hope. Anyone know if there's any way this would work? Would it even save me time (as opposed to fishless cycling)? :/ Thanks for your help!

Gix said:
I was basically wondering if there's a way to get around cycling a tank, just because I'm impatient sometimes. :) I was thinking of the plan of getting a filter in which bacteria easily build up (like a bio-wheel), and putting it in my already running tank. Over the course of a couple of weeks (maybe? no idea as to the time frame), the bacteria would grow in this filter. I could then put back my original filter, and use the bio-wheel in the new tank. This would (maybe) transplant the bacteria to the new tank and set things up for new fish. I hope. Anyone know if there's any way this would work? Would it even save me time (as opposed to fishless cycling)? :/ Thanks for your help!
This works to some extent - just remember that when you set up the new tank with the pre-loaded biowheel from the other tank, you will still need to "feed" your bacterial colonies, either with ammonia or fish food, or by adding fish.

I think it'd be ok as long as you only transferred the filter to the new tank immediately before adding new fish. Also, add teh new fish gradually, cos you don't know how big of a bacteria colony is establshed in the new filter.

you can also add rocks and gravel from a well cycled tank to help. Remember that the bacteria still needs food though :D

Your plan will work just fine, Put your new filter in the old tank for about a week, then you will have a good bacterial colony for your new tank. Another little tip is to stick a handful of filter floss (filter fiber) whatever you want to call it, into the filter behind where the cartridge goes. That will also colonize bacteria and should give you plenty for your new tank. good luck!

1. if you want fish, you should never be impatient
2. the best thing you can possibly do for you fish is not be impatient and cycle. i get people in at work everyday that are too lazy and try to skip the cycling proccess and wonder why their fish die. there was even one girl who came in and told us the other fish store in town (who the owner is a total prick) told her if she had live rock in her salt water tank she didnt have to cycle at all. which i laughed at her stupidity anyways if you are to lazy to cycle, because you are impatient get another hobby.

I did this (added my old bacteria filled filter) to a new tank i also added some gravel and just put a few small fish in and the water was peferct after just less than a week!

just put some poopy fish in there and if they die the water isnt ready and if they live tha water is good :lol:

Don't remove your current filter though! You make it sound like you'd use only one filter at a time, which is BAD! As the forst filter would be useless afterwards.

Run both pumps in an established tank for a time, 2 weeks or so. Move the second filter out when you have some fish to feed it with.

:)

This is what i did with my 56g -

Filled with water and added a bowl full of gravel from established tank. Also washed established filter pad in new tank by the intake hose so that the dirt was sucked into the filter. Added 10 neon tetras.

My Results:

Day One
Ammonia 0.0ppm
Nitrite 0.0ppm
Nitrate 0.0ppm

Day Two
Ammonia 0.5ppm
Nitrite 0.0ppm
Nitrate 0.ppm

Day Three
Ammonia 0.25ppm
Nitrite 0.25ppm
Nitrate 0.0ppm

Day Four
Ammonia 0.0ppm
Nitrite 0.5ppm
Nitrate 5.0ppm

(As I only have 10 tetras the bioload is small so I don't expect huge spikes)

HTH

yeah, make sure both filters are running on the old tank, then when you have the new tank set up transfer the new filter into it and add fish immediately. I've done this twice now, and not lost a single fish because of it. I did have a mini-cycle on one of the tanks though, ammonia went up to about 0.4 and nitrite went to about 0.1, so keep an eye on the water params for the first couple of weeks. Other than that, it does work!!!!

dead_slade said:
1. if you want fish, you should never be impatient
2. the best thing you can possibly do for you fish is not be impatient and cycle. i get people in at work everyday that are too lazy and try to skip the cycling proccess and wonder why their fish die. there was even one girl who came in and told us the other fish store in town (who the owner is a total prick) told her if she had live rock in her salt water tank she didnt have to cycle at all. which i laughed at her stupidity anyways if you are to lazy to cycle, because you are impatient get another hobby.
Actually, this is a method that has been successfully used by many on this board. No one is suggesting NOT cycling - but cycling is simply culturing certain bacterial colonies on your filter and gravel, and if one has a mature tank to run an extra filter, once you transfer that filter and some of the mature tanks gravel to a new tank you have a tank that has all the right colonies.

fufanu360 said:
just put some poopy fish in there and if they die the water isnt ready and if they live tha water is good :lol:
Not funny :sly:

No fish are 'poopy' and none deserve to die just because you can't be bothered to even try and provide a safe environment for them.

What a ridiculous comment :grr:

Um, slate, that was awfully harsh, it's not laziness that makes a faster cycle necessary. For instance, a couple weeks ago, a guy posted on a local website that he had 6 discus for sale, and I called him, and set up a meeting. Well, turns out he was getting rid of all his fish, and I ended up getting 24 discus, 2" up to 6" adults, and had to set up a couple 75 gallon tanks PRONTO. So I filled em up with tap (set to around 82-86 degrees from my fishroom faucet) Put in some dechlor, pulled 2 of my handy seasoned sponges from other tanks(I always have some extras running), and was up and running within an hour. Fully fish-safe in 30 minutes, so why set up a tank and wait 4-6 weeks? What is the possible benefit of your fishless cycle over my sponge filter method? Not to mention, discus are a little tougher to keep happy than most cichlids and livebearers, who should be fine in a tank cycled this way.

Aquascaper said:
No fish are 'poopy'
Anyone looking at the copious amount of fecal matter that comes outta my pleco might argue with you on that one.... :rofl: :rofl:

Most reactions

Back