A New Salt Voyage

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Welcome, I'm not that far ahead of you in the journey to the Salty side but can answer some of those questions.

As I understand Marines are run lidless by most people to improve the gas exchange at the surface of the water, although my FOWLR that is just being set up will have a hood as there is a blinking huge gap at the back.

If you're setting up a sump you can bin the 405 as the sump will have the skimmer and whatever else you want to put in there (read journals and make your choices they range from very simple to ridiculously involved) and the LR will be your filter, so you just have to make sure your blasting enough water at the rock with your powerhead so you are spot on with regard to getting more of those :good:

With LR patience is the key, I spent 4 weeks just going through aquarist classified, fleabay and the like every night and eventually hit gold on another site by someone breaking down a mature tank in a hurry and ended up with 75kg of rock with loads of freebies for £180 once I had sold the surplus on. Be patient and keep looking.
Don't use ocean rock it is too dense and won't act as a filter even when its been in the tank a while, if you use dead live rock it will take a while to get sorted, it will have a cycle of indeterminable length and will probably whiff a bit, IMO you would be wise to wait for a good tank breakdown and pounce.

I have a bit on RO units on my Godiva journal shows it plumbed in and I think there is a thread on there about where I got mine, don't worry too much about the Gallons per day rating mine is 100GPD and does 25l in a couple of hours, but even a 50GPD will give you enough with a bit of planning. It's just the initial fill that takes time.

Don't use the play sand it will look horrid IMO and with powerheads it will be stirred up something cronic, just get some argonite sand/coral sand. It will soon be crawling with life from your LR. Should be able to get it for about £25 for 20kg and in that size tank you will only need about 10kg if that.

Powerheads are basically an electrically powered fan that blows the water about there are many options from the lovely, slimline, unobtrusive (but expensive) Vortech MP40 to the cheap but very capable Newaves, they are directly powered to the mains all plug and go, except a few that work off of 12v wavemakers, the options are endless so best get back on the net.

Taken me so long to answer this I'm probably behind Woody with an answer now and this is all redundant.

Not sure on the water front but pretty sure that is for people in the states with access to appropriate water, not sure our UK water is up to the job, you're on the right track with the RO unit which I'm sure you will see from my journal, under sink with plenty of spare tubing so you can get it out and stick a container nearby, and yes you need to fit an inline tap so you can turn it off, it's a very easy DIY job.

Not sure the 405 will have enough turnover for use as a sump pump, others may advise you better on that. May be better selling it and then buying a return pump. I have an FX5 that goes for about £100 second hand so will flog it and then buy a 3000lph return pump for £50.

Yeah keep looking for sand, my LFS got me some from TMC came in a plastic hessian type sack 25kg for £20 so it is available, they do marine gravel which is not really gravel but quite large shelly bits, I went for what I think they call coarse sand which is a bit smaller and certainly more favoured by my substrate sifting Chalk Goby. Maybe if you want a load of stuff find somewhere that does it all and you can get free delivery on it, will see what I can find for you, know one of the sites I looked at use TMC sand.

Well let me link them, from the Vyair website where I bought my RO unit.
So if you're going to plumb into a washing machine feed you need to get one of these and obviously one will be your washing machine feed the other will need one of these.and the 1/4 inch piping will push into it. Then you will need to fit one of these. inline so you are able to turn the supply to the RO unit on and off. Don't know what your kit comes with mine came with all the above so see what you get or phone and check. All the fittings are push to fit so you won't need that PTFE tape unless you want to stick some on the T-piece connector. If I were you I would leave enough pipe on the supply to be able to lift the RO unit out of the cupboard, then also enough to get the waste pipe pushed way doown into the plughole and the enough on the outlet that the RO water will come out of for you to run it into a container sat on the floor.

No problem, should have enough tubing with the unit to set it up pretty much as you want, kit list looks good, I have an eheim 3000 return was a little noisy for a week or so but beeded in now, I was also looking at those Koralia evo's for my reef tank but my LFS are Koralia haters and I was talked into a Vortech (which is lovely), and when I bought my first powerheads the pre-evo ones were less flow and more power consumption than cheaper rivals. Will be interested to see how good those evo's are as may end up with those on my FOWLR set up.

You want a refractometer not a hydrometer and did you order two ball valves as well? You need them to keep water trapped beside the membrane?

Seffie x

Most reactions

Back