A Mad Idea......or Could It Work?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ghent_3rd

Fish Addict
Reaction score
OK, I'll cut to the chase......I've got unfertilised sand substrate and hence no plants kin the substrate but a LOT of Java fern on bogwood and Amazon Frogbit that grows like wildfire.

I am thinking of adding some anubias to the bogwood for a bit of variety which is straightforward enough but my idea below is what I am looking for feedback about.

I do not want to plant straight into the substrate but rather in troughs or pots with Plant substrate in it. I am planning on hiding whatever in decide to plant in with my hord of bogwood that exists in my tank. Any feedback on this idea would be helpful from all the plant gurus out there and a possible suggestion for plants to include in there would be cool!!

I'm sure the forum will not let me down!

I think it is a really good idea, but just make sure that the pots are big enough for the roots! :good:

I'm not too sure why you want to plant in the pots?

For plants to grow they spread their roots so you would need pots like the tropica ones with open parts to the sides and bottom.

Then the roots will grow outside of the pot into the inert substrate?

Are you under the impression that you need a nutritious substrate? If so this isn't true and many aquascapers don't use them at all. They can be useful but with routined dosing are not needed.

Take a look at JamesC's tank. He uses plain old sand:
[URL="http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/index.htm"]http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/index.htm[/URL]

Andy

That tank in the link is awesome but also pretty high-tec. I was thinking of at least leaving the bottom open to allow the roots access out of the pots.

I think I will have a scout round to see what is available out there and make my decision based on what is available. The main thing I am thinking is that I can put a real quaity substrate, mixed with laterite and root tabs in very concentrated area, even if it is only a couple of inches square. I could then keep topping up with root tabs and concentrate any other substrate ferts in those area. This coupled with liquid ferts and some Nutrafin CO2 should hopefully work wonders.

If nobody has ever tried then it has got to be worth a try. How many times are good ideas come across by accident, quite a few.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back