A few questions

Fish_Mike said:
So would you suggest using flourite and the fine gravel? If yes, than which substrate goes over which?
[snapback]884179[/snapback]​

you can mix them completely, but if not then have the flourite at the bottom

remember when u buy it, wash it out outside in a 5gal bucket with a hose, it wont go clear so dont think it will, but after about 5min of washing take it back lay it out and then the same with the other gravel- place a small dish or bowl in ur tank and pour water slowly in that untill ur tank is filled

ya, i'd wash it first even if you didn't say.

So can someone give me a list of items i'd need to purchase for a planted 55 gallon, assuming i have NOTHING. In Canadian dollars if possible,

thanks (it makes it so much easier)

yah i dont reccomend running an air pump the whole time just in case the co2 overwhelms the fish which is usually unlikely but i used it to drive off the co2 in my case and replenish the o2 for a couple hours till my fish recovered its just for emergencies since like blask said it will provide alot of surface aggitation which will drive off the co2.

:) Well, in the new 55 gallon, i was wondering if 2 Fluval 104 Filters would suffice? I already have one and buying just the 304 would be silightly pointless if the 2 104s together would be enough. They (104s) are reccommended for tanks up to 25 gallons.

Is the fine gravel (not flourite) necessary? I would need to buy 2 bags of flourite for teh 55 and that totals $60 :crazy:

i dont think you necessarily have to use flourite but i believe it helps a great deal.i think the turnover ratio for your tank shoul be at least 3x an hour so if your filtering at least that much you should be okay. im actually turning my tank 10times an hour which i think some will say is too much but i like to over filter. my aquaclears are a 100gph and a 200gph for a total og 300gph. in a 29gal tank

Mix the flourite and grval,55 gal use 30 pds of flourite and 10 pds of gravel,you could even trow some quartz sand in there for color contrast,just dont use to much,maybe 5 or 6 pds.As for thiCo2 injector I use one on my 55gal,no surface aggitation,plants make enough O2 for evryone.store the packages in a cool,dry place.The main thing to remember is tat plants need equal parts of ligt,Co2 and temp. to flourish,good substrate also helps

danski said:
i think the turnover ratio for your tank shoul be at least 3x an hour so if your filtering at least that much you should be okay. im actually turning my tank 10times an hour which i think some will say is too much but i like to over filter. my aquaclears are a 100gph and a 200gph for a total og 300gph. in a 29gal tank
[snapback]884960[/snapback]​
My understanding is that you should turn it 5 times per hour which would mean the 2 104s wouldn't be enough. That would only be 250 gph and you would need a minimum of 275. It never hurts to over filter though especially if you plan to overstock or have messy fish like plecos or oscars.

Most reactions

Back