A few questions about salmontails

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Eelzor

This shrimp is so good it needs to be seen in wide
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting the salmontail catfish. Although they grow quite big, here are my questions,

1.How big do they grow?

2.How fast do they grow? (I heard they grow quite fast)

3.What are suitable tankmates for them?

The reason this is not in the 'Catfish Cradle' or 'Cyprinids and Characins' is because I wanted to concentrate on another fish with columbian sharks. I am considering getting about 2-3 columbian sharks, but I want another nice fish to go with them. Something like a oscar. Like a giant fish. If there are no ideal tankmates, then I am thinking of just making it a shark-only tank. The columbian sharks I saw at the store are about 3 inches long. Whats the recomended tank size for a fish of that size for now? FOR NOW, remember ;) Because later I may need a larger tank. What tank size should I have when they are 10 inches each? I am not sure on the tankmates entirely because I have heard that they can even attack, oscars, giant gouramis (big ones), red bellied pacus and the like. So if they can hurt fish of that size and attitude, would you say it is best for them to be on there own? I hope you can trace back my questions. Tanx in advance. :D :thumbs:

heh, well its been over 2 months since I did this post and back then no one replied but I didn't care because I wasn't going to get the salmonatail cats anyway, but now, having bigger tanks and more knowledge, I have decided to take on these massive beasts for a large shark pet. Noticed my sig has changed too ;) . Anyway, like the 3 questions I said above, does anyone have knowledge on these fish other than sites on the internet? (believe me - I have looked at the all). These fish are also called "Columbian Sharks". Thanx - First to reply rules!!!! :lol: :D

Can you supply the scientific name of the fish you want as salmontail cats and columbian shark cats are two completely seperate species that come from entirely different continents.

They are? Well, first thing I have learned then. I think Salmontail Cats are the right one though. The scientific name for the fish is 'Arius leptaspis'.

Edit: WOW! :hyper: - These guys get up to 30 inches! That's not stopping me though. Guess I'll have to use my swimming pool. :/

Still willing to accept info though :D

Eelzor said:
Edit: WOW! :hyper: - These guys get up to 30 inches! That's not stopping me though. Guess I'll have to use my swimming pool. :/

Still willing to accept info though :D
I guess you will need that swimming pool, these guys can get to 51 inches!!!! To keep one to full adult size you will need a tank of at least 12 foot by 5 foot!!!!!!

Arius leptaspis or Arius graeffei (Graeffes salmon tail) as your fish is now known is a Australian native catfish found in both brackish and freshwater costal waters of Queensland, New south wales and the Northern territories. They are peaceful fish though small fishes will be eaten so tankmates need to be at least 1/2 the size of the catfish. Hard water with a pH of between 7 and 8.5 and temperatures between 24 and 32 degrees celcius are preffered, the fish does not tolerate cold well and becomes stressed if the tank becomes too cool.

Since it is you two you can handle a little parody.
Eelzor: I want to get a mini Whale and the pet store said I could keep him in a 20 gallon. Would that be good?

CFC/SMB/????: HECK NO !!! A mini whale (Hugeassus minimus) need at least 1 ocean to be happy in.

Eelzor: Oh well I thought I would start him off in a 10 gallon and just get a crane to move him into my 20 gallon when he out grew the 10. I can't afford an ocean right now though...maybe next year when I get my tax check back.

CFC/SMB/????: Well if I were you I would not even try it. Instead if I had a 20 gallon tank I might stock it with 2 guppies. I know that is a little over stocked but with some good water changes I think you could do it. Oh yes and don't forget a tightly sealing lid. One good jump without a lid .... shoot I just shudder at the idea. :byebye:

Eelzor: Well I don't know....I still might try the mini whale. He looked so cute with his little blow hole and stuff. I mean I already bought the shovel and 4 tons of krill to feed him. What am I supposed to do with it if I don't get him?

CFC/SMB/???? I can't tell you not to do it but as the leader of the free fish world I can't be held responsible. It would be a good idea though if you check with the lfs to see if they would allow you to bring Hugeass mini back if he gets to big. I am sure they would let you.

Eelzor: Thanks again!! I always love coming to this place. So many super people here. Well off to the lfs to get Wally the Wonder Whale!!! I hope he likes the pink and purple rock I got for his tank????? :cool:

Signed,
Sondan
This was only a parody.....the off chance that any of these names actually resemble or ARE real people is purely by chance (or not). IF this story offends you then please by all means stick with guppies. Hugeass whales are NOT FOR BEGINNERS!! If you have anymore questions feel free to post them at a further date. :D

Sondan said:
Instead if I had a 20 gallon tank I might stock it with 2 guppies. I know that is a little over stocked but with some good water changes I think you could do it.

Eelzor: Thanks again!! I always love coming to this place. So many super people here. Well off to the lfs to get Wally the Wonder Whale!!! I hope he likes the pink and purple rock I got for his tank????? :cool:
OMG ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sondan said:
Since it is you two you can handle a little parody.
Eelzor: I want to get a mini Whale and the pet store said I could keep him in a 20 gallon. Would that be good?

CFC/SMB/????: HECK NO !!! A mini whale (Hugeassus minimus) need at least 1 ocean to be happy in.

Eelzor: Oh well I thought I would start him off in a 10 gallon and just get a crane to move him into my 20 gallon when he out grew the 10. I can't afford an ocean right now though...maybe next year when I get my tax check back.

CFC/SMB/????: Well if I were you I would not even try it. Instead if I had a 20 gallon tank I might stock it with 2 guppies. I know that is a little over stocked but with some good water changes I think you could do it. Oh yes and don't forget a tightly sealing lid. One good jump without a lid .... shoot I just shudder at the idea. :byebye:

Eelzor: Well I don't know....I still might try the mini whale. He looked so cute with his little blow hole and stuff. I mean I already bought the shovel and 4 tons of krill to feed him. What am I supposed to do with it if I don't get him?

CFC/SMB/???? I can't tell you not to do it but as the leader of the free fish world I can't be held responsible. It would be a good idea though if you check with the lfs to see if they would allow you to bring Hugeass mini back if he gets to big. I am sure they would let you.

Signed,
Sondan
This was only a parody.....the off chance that any of these names actually resemble or ARE real people is purely by chance (or not). IF this story offends you then please by all means stick with guppies. Hugeass whales are NOT FOR BEGINNERS!! If you have anymore questions feel free to post them at a further date. :D
WHat were you thinking Sondan!!?!?! :crazy: What type of mood were you in!?! :grr: Oh, well, I can handle a little parody (Grabs Knife towards Sondan)that's basically the story to tell you the truth :/ (Except the pink rock thing, grrr :grr: :grr: ) But seriously I went to the other lps store to ask about the sizes and they said 12-14 inches maximum. BAH! I'll get em' anyways.

:kira: :kira: :kira: Sondan...YOU CRACK ME UP!! :kira: :kira: :kira:

You usually are a hoot-an-a-half...that's why you're one of my favorite people on here. :D

Most reactions

Back