A Betta In A 2.5 Gallon Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

shadowangels27

Reaction score
I've had them before (in larger tanks)

I reset up my 2.5 gal tank and got it a 1-3 gallon filter, and it has a heater.

I want to get a betta. (Female or male, I'll decide later)

But I'm going to do every other water changes, feed it pellets, etc. I've got 5 sticks of bamboo in there right now.

I'm just asking, don't give me crap about a "bad fish keeper".
I have a 20 gal with 6 danios, 1 sunset honey gourami, 8 corydoras. That tank has 2 filters, a heater, and unlimited amount of plants.

The other tank is a 10 gal. It has 5-6 dwarf frogs in it, and is more of a plant growing tank. (melon swords, cryptocorne, anubius, etc) And I don't want to add a betta because... It's stocked fully.

So can I keep a betta in a 2.5 gal with every-other-day 25% water changes, filter, heater, and plants?

not sure if you mean US gallons or Imperial gallons?! I only know litres I'm afraid! Just checked. 2.5 US gallons = 9.464 litres. 2.5 Imperial gallons = 11.365 gallons. Apparantly lol.

Anyway,- the smallest tank I have for a male betta is 19 litres, but I know a lot of people do keep them in smaller tanks with more frequent water changes the same as you are planning. They seem to all do very well. I'm sure that you will get replies from some of these people and they will be able to give you any advice you need :good:

Hope to see some piccies of your new betta when he/she arrives :D

edited to add: I've read several posts on previous topics that say that bamboo is not good in a betta tank, so you may be better off removing that. Almond leaves are very popular. Personally I have Java fern (as it's the only plant I've ever owned that none of my fish will eat!!) and Amazon Frogbit (floating plant) :D

not sure if you mean US gallons or Imperial gallons?! I only know litres I'm afraid! Just checked. 2.5 US gallons = 9.464 litres. 2.5 Imperial gallons = 11.365 gallons. Apparantly lol.

Anyway,- the smallest tank I have for a male betta is 19 litres, but I know a lot of people do keep them in smaller tanks with more frequent water changes the same as you are planning. They seem to all do very well. I'm sure that you will get replies from some of these people and they will be able to give you any advice you need :good:

Hope to see some piccies of your new betta when he/she arrives :D

edited to add: I've read several posts on previous topics that say that bamboo is not good in a betta tank, so you may be better off removing that. Almond leaves are very popular. Personally I have Java fern (as it's the only plant I've ever owned that none of my fish will eat!!) and Amazon Frogbit (floating plant) :D

US gallons. And it's fine, you just have to make sure the leaves are above the water for bamboo.

No you don't, it rots from the roots up because it isn't an aquatic plant

"Different types of bamboo flourish under very different conditions, but none are truly aquatic plants. One variety will survive in a vase filled with a few inches of water with only occasional fertilizer. This species naturally grows beneath the dense canopies of tropical rain forests and requires a constantly wet growing medium for cultivation. Adapted to deep shade, it grows well indoors but can't survive direct sunlight. Many other types also tolerate wet conditions but not prolonged submersion"

Also, as many people must have read, I really do NOT agree with anyhting other than shrimp being kept in less than 5 gallon tanks, but obviously you do so i just wont start about that.

The Bamboo will rot if any of the stem is in the water, only the roots should be submerged, a 2.5G would be fine, why would you need to do water changes every 2 days? Providing the filter is cycled once a week will be sufficient.

That's what I've read and been told about bamboo too. Really not suitable for aquatic use at all unfortunately.

No you don't, it rots from the roots up because it isn't an aquatic plant

"Different types of bamboo flourish under very different conditions, but none are truly aquatic plants. One variety will survive in a vase filled with a few inches of water with only occasional fertilizer. This species naturally grows beneath the dense canopies of tropical rain forests and requires a constantly wet growing medium for cultivation. Adapted to deep shade, it grows well indoors but can't survive direct sunlight. Many other types also tolerate wet conditions but not prolonged submersion"

Also, as many people must have read, I really do NOT agree with anyhting other than shrimp being kept in less than 5 gallon tanks, but obviously you do so i just wont start about that.

It's lucky bamboo... And I just wanted to put it in there for a week at best... The bowl it was in (sold under "betta bowl") started to get nasty. I'm washing it...

It wont be lucky for long!

If youre only keeping it for a week what are you going to do with it afterwards? Why did you buy it in the first place, there are plenty of other aquatic plants that IMO look much better than bamboo.

And by 'nasty' what do you mean?

I keep my female betta in a 2.5 US gallon, so I don't see a problem with it. When selecting bettas, I found one on the small side, knowing I intended to keep her in a smaller habitat.

Edited to add: The tank I bought came with a divider so you can keep two bettas in the same tank :crazy:

If youre only keeping it for a week what are you going to do with it afterwards? Why did you buy it in the first place, there are plenty of other aquatic plants that IMO look much better than bamboo.

Like the water doesn't get "filtered" and can't... So basically... the water turned really gross. So did the gravel. I AM KEEPING THE BAMBOO. Just cleaning the bowl really well before putting it back in, and a week at most in the tank, other then that... it's just going to be bulb plants... maybe a cave. And it's white stuff, mold?, growing in the water... And on the bamboo itself.. And it's gross. I add water from the main tanks to the bowl every week.

Like the water doesn't get "filtered" and can't... So basically... the water turned really gross. So did the gravel. I AM KEEPING THE BAMBOO. Just cleaning the bowl really well before putting it back in, and a week at most in the tank, other then that... it's just going to be bulb plants... maybe a cave. And it's white stuff, mold?, growing in the water... And on the bamboo itself.. And it's gross. I add water from the main tanks to the bowl every week.

When you say water from the main tank to the bowl. do you mean water from your other fish tank to your betta tank??
If so, youll be better adding new fresh water

So you're keeping a betta in a tiny, unfiltered tank?
Thats kind of the first mistake people usually pull you up on.

And alright, be stubborn about the bamboo, but it WILL rot away, thats proabably what the mould is.

Again, why are you only keeping it for a week?

Get a filter at least for your Bettas sake.

If your tank is unfiltered your fish is sitting its own waste, Ammonia burns the gills of fish and can also cause some nervous system problems, and the Bamboo will rot away as Hanny has stated, that again will contribute to the ammonia levels.

Everyone has given you great advice it's up to you whether you take it or not. Personally I'd listen to the advice you've been given. All I can add is that your "tank" is way way too small and in my opinion it's wrong to keep a betta in a tank that small.

You need at the least 15 litres and a filter and heater.

I keep my female betta in a 2.5 US gallon, so I don't see a problem with it. When selecting bettas, I found one on the small side, knowing I intended to keep her in a smaller habitat.

Edited to add: The tank I bought came with a divider so you can keep two bettas in the same tank :crazy:

I am sick of seeing these so called Betta tanks. They are not suitable.

So you're keeping a betta in a tiny, unfiltered tank?
Thats kind of the first mistake people usually pull you up on.

And alright, be stubborn about the bamboo, but it WILL rot away, thats proabably what the mould is.

Again, why are you only keeping it for a week?

Get a filter at least for your Bettas sake.

The original post states that she does have a filter and a heater in her betta tank :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back